Long standing Canberra residents are well versed with the regions relatively dry continental climate. Canberra sees the best of Australia’s hot summers and the coldest of winters. Interestingly, despite these variances, rainfall across the region delivers a substantial monthly average of 50-75mm. That is a lot of rain to save for a dry day.
In recent years Canberra and surrounds have experienced the toll of drought. Given this predicament, finding ways to reduce reliance on mains water not only provides greater flexibility – it can help to reduce your water bill too.
Well designed water management systems are the key to this solution, including the installation of water storage tanks. These systems allow you to harness and reuse one of our most precious resources, water.
The good news is that rainwater tanks are no longer eyesores of a bygone era. They are feats of engineering that can seamlessly blend into the most conspicuous surrounds. With options aplenty selecting a water tank and the systems to capture and utilise it can be overwhelming.
This is where contracting and experienced water tank installer makes perfect sense. But what should you look for in a water tank installer; and where do you find the best in Canberra? Read on to find out.
What makes a great water tank installer?
The best water tank installers can design, implement, and maintain sophisticated water storage systems for any property. When searching for a water tank installer in Canberra we suggest you keep an eye on the following:
- Qualified, licensed and insured. As with most trades, ensuring your water tank installer holds the right credentials is so important. Whilst some aspects of tank installation can be completed by a handy person, others require a licensed plumber or electrician. Before contracting an installer check for appropriate licensing along with public liability insurance.
- End-to-end servicing. Water tanks and their accompanying systems sound simple, though can be quite complex particularly when dealing with those encased underground. The best water tank installers are well versed in the end-to-end delivery of the system in its entirety. This includes planning and design, recommendations on tank size and type, implementation of water collection components, and of course all water distribution components. Finally, check for post installation services such as repairs or maintenance.
- Quality products. Whilst water tanks can be sourced in a variety of materials each equally as good as the last, quality selections tend to fare better in the long run. Look for an installer that stocks reputable brands and quality products, bet it the tanks themselves or the pumps and fittings used with it. On-going maintenance and repairs due to lack lustre products can be costly, so getting this right the first time will ensure your set up goes the distance.
- Warranties. The best water tank installers will offer guarantees on not only their products but also their work. Look for an installer that has existing relationships with quality manufacturers offering longstanding product warranties. With the average water tank lifespan being around 20 years, a warranty to cover at least half of this will be helpful.
- Regulation compliant. Regulations may cover water tank installation depending on whether you are installing while renovating, retrofitting, or building new. Consult your local council and water supplier to see which regulations apply in your area; and ensure your water tank installer understands and adheres to these.
The best water tank installers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Servicing Canberra and surrounds for over fifteen years, Aquaflow Irrigation are local water management experts specialising in irrigation design, construction, and maintenance.
Water tanks are an integral component of their service offering, which includes the supply and installation of industry leading Australian-made tanks well suited to local conditions. These tanks are made to last and backed by an impressive twenty-year warranty.
Aquaflow Irrigation also offers comprehensive tank servicing and repairs, including relining, to ensure the integrity of your tank long term.
Here is what Kathleen Kohler had to say on her review via Facebook, “We recently had a 200,000ltr tank installed by Aquaflo (apparently their 100th) and couldn’t be happier. Monika was more than helpful, kept me informed and was on top of everything, the guys worked hard and did a great job. We had a few extras to add at a late stage, they not only accommodated but delivered a couple of times on weekends. Highly recommend!”
Established in Canberra in 1978, Waterland has designed and installed world class irrigation systems in some of the regions most prestigious sites.
Their highly trained and well skilled team also provides an abundance of water storage solutions specialising in above ground tanks. This includes the installation and maintenance of pumps and other spare parts, as well as servicing and repairs onsite.
Waterland operates to the highest standards of professionalism, with seamless delivery for residential and commercial clients alike.
Tuan Vo shared this feedback on Google, “Excellent service. Very helpful.”
Territory Tanks and Plumbing are a locally owned and operated business with over a decades’ experience supplying and installing complete rainwater systems for homes and business in Canberra and surrounds.
Their licensed and skilled team of trades work directly with homeowners, builders, and landscapers to design and construct effective water tank solutions that not only address practical needs, but also compliments the design aesthetic of the home it resides in.
Jeff Kealley shared his personal experience with Territory Tanks and Plumbing on Google, “Steve and his crew did a great job on the supply & installation of our 3000L slimline tank with in-tank submersible pump. Works a treat and is very neat and tidy. Quick installation too. Very happy.”
Silva Plumbing Service is a family run business founded in Canberra over a decade ago. They offer round the clock plumbing services built on an ethos of quality at every turn.
Their team provides domestic and commercial maintenance services, along with plumbing installs of a multitude of systems and products including water tanks. This steadfast focus on customer satisfaction will ensure the right water tank is expertly installed and maintained.
Stephen shared this great experience with Silva Plumbing on Google, “Absolutely fantastic service – above and beyond the call of duty. Many thanks.”
Servicing Canberra for over fifteen years, Canberra Plumbing and Drains are a family run business providing an extensive range of both generalist and specialist water and gas services including water tank installation.
From basic water tank repair and maintenance to the designing of complete rainwater harvesting solutions, Canberra Plumbing and Drains has the expertise to assist. Their trained technicians can provide additional tank services including gutter repairs and installation, and pump and switch replacement installations.
Here’s what Alicia had to say about her experience with Canberra Plumbing and Drains on Google, “Friendly, prompt and professional staff that do a great job. I highly recommend them.”
Other ways to save water in your home and garden
Installing a water tank is a great way to use water more efficiently, whether that’s for flushing toilets or watering your veggie patch. But did you know there are even more ways to save water, and many are easy to implement. For more water saving tips from Icon Water, read Water restrictions in Canberra: What locals should know + tips for saving water.