Planning your big day in the Canberra region? For many, a wedding is the most significant celebration that you will host in a lifetime.
Your venue of choosing will be more than a mere scene setting backdrop; it will house cherished memories with family and friends – and the first steps you take with your new spouse.
With a myriad of options available in Canberra how do you select the right venue? One that compliments your style, meets your requirements, and is also forgiving on your purse strings?
The good news is that you are in for a treat! Read on to find our shortlist of the best wedding venues in Canberra.
What makes a great wedding venue?
Every wedding should be a generous occasion full of abundance; a celebration of love coupled with optimism for what the future holds. Not only does it need to be special; it needs to be a seamless and stress-free experience from beginning to end.
When searching for the perfect Canberra wedding venue we suggest considering the following:
- Picture Perfect. If you are like most engaged couples, chances are that you want your wedding to be the ultimate reflection of who you are. The style of the venue and its surrounds plays an integral role in defining this. The best wedding venues feature unique and distinguished architecture both inside and out; all residing amongst the most breathtaking of natural landscapes. When searching for your venue consider the style, tone, and overarching feel that you want for your special day – it’s a great way to refine your list
- Top Notch Facilities. The most prestigious wedding venues offer everything needed to comfortably accommodate their guests. Whether it be flexible spaces or wet weather solutions check what will be provided. From ample bathrooms and chefs in kitchens through to tables, chairs and linen – every requirement should be catered for. Be sure to enquire about facilities for sound, vision, lighting, a dance floor and even a cake table too.
- Convenient Location. Consider a wedding venue that is readily accessible, close to public transport, and accommodation. Also enquire about onsite parking and any shuttle services to make getting to and from your venue as easy and affordable for your guests as possible.
- Impeccable Service. If the venue is serviced by staff such as events and catering teams ensure they are friendly, attentive and skilled. Personalised service with a smile goes a long way to making the soiree memorable for all.
- Scalable Packages and Pricing.The wedding venue will be one of the most expensive aspects of your wedding. Be sure to do your research and review in detail with each venue to fully understand your options particularly with food and beverages. Scalable packages with flexible options on inclusions, pricing, and payment will ensure you extract the most value.
The best wedding venues in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
The home of our national collection of art, The National Gallery of Australia is a sophisticated location for those seeking a culturally rich wedding venue. Situated along the shores of Lake Burley Griffin, it features world-class function spaces ready to be tailored to suit your needs.
The NGA boasts numerous ceremony spaces within the heritage-listed Sculpture Garden. Whether it be the life sized maquette of The Angel of the North, an adorned reed pond known as The Beach, or The Knot with its vista across the water, each are stunning locations in their own right.
For the main event, the NGA caters to both intimate and large wedding receptions. The Gandel Hall is a generous light filled space accommodating up to 350 seated guests. Littered with gold leaf doors, iron bark floors and enormous windows which open to Australia Terrace.
Alternatively, the Gallery Space provides a contemporary cocktail setting amongst wall to wall art. For an edgy feel look no further than the Gallery Café with its staggering 10-metre high hatched concrete ceilings. The NGA is also home to one of Canberra’s hidden gems, the Sculpture Garden Pavilion, a picturesque open-air marquee blending indoors and out.
Wedding events are managed exclusively by The Big Group Hospitality Agency, with a reputation that is second to none. Founded by Bruce and Chyka Keebaugh their ethos is creating happiness – a blend of delectable menus and beverages, serious service, and creative flair to translate your wedding dream into a reality.
Jill Taylor shared this wonderful feedback on Google, “The gallery is my favourite spot in Canberra. Always something here to surprise and delight you.”
Tuggeranong Homestead is a heritage-listed wedding venue oozing with rustic old-world charm. Set in an expansive 70 acres this country setting provides unrivalled seclusion.
With endless photographic opportunities, the Tuggeranong Homestead features stunning gardens, fountains, a gazebo and bushland for miles – all beautiful settings for ceremonies and receptions alike.
Consider canapes in the Paved Garden followed by the Machinery Shed or Homestead for the main event. For that relaxed, classically Australian vibe this is it.
As Attila Ovari shared on Google, “Great venue, great service and awesome food.”
Shrouded in the iconic majesty of the National Library is Bookplate; a local institution by Tracey Keeley. Renowned for its kaleidoscopic stained-glass windows, Bookplate delivers charismatic charm in spades.
This wedding venue craftly blends the warmth a library with first-class dining delivering tailored experiences for your big day.
With spaces for ceremonies and receptions coupled with views across Lake Burley Griffin and Patrick White Lawn, Bookplate delivers a wedding that is bound to be memorable.
Graham Haberfield shared his thoughts on Bookplate on Google, “Crowded – and for good reason! The food is contemporary and tasty, the décor unique, the service swift, efficient and unobtrusive.”
The National Arboretum is home to a larger than life selection of architectural masterpieces surrounded by unrivalled views of the surrounding conservation plantation.
This award-winning wedding venue houses the intimate Pavilion and the grand Village Centre. Think frond inspired cathedral ceilings, adorned wood trusses and top to bottom glass.
Their partner, Ginger Catering present unforgettable food and beverage packages for both seated and cocktail weddings. A must for a one of a kind wedding.
Don Brackenreg provided this fantastic review on Google, “Beautiful spot for a wedding, great views over Canberra.”
Tucked away in its own private parklands on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin, The Boat House is a stunning and award-winning wedding location. Expect highly personalised service – The Boat House’s owner, James Souter works directly with couples to design a day that reflects their unique wishes, needs and values.
The Boat House offers breathtaking views Kingston Foreshore and surround, fine-dining and an enchanting atmosphere. You simply can’t go wrong with the refined sophistication of The Boat House.
Damian Tolson shared this glowing review on Google, “Wedding reception for the ages. Good food and attentive staff. Perfect venue for celebrating the perfect couple.”
Your experience with wedding venues in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the wedding venues listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.