With a glamorous façade of Mad Men like musings, anyone would think marketing was child’s play. If you have attempted, let alone succeeded, in executing an effective marketing strategy you will know all too well that this is a fallacy.
Marketing plans are more than a mix of product, price, promotion, and place. They are essential business strategies on which hinges the ultimate success or failure of a product, service, or brand.
Great marketing strategies tackle real business problems head on. The best marketing strategies deliver measurable outcomes on time, and on budget. They bring in clients, lift revenue, and foster healthy business growth.
But where does one start when even the savviest entrepreneur falters at segmentation analysis? How does traditional differ from digital media? What is a DPS? And how about measurement? Look further and you will find CPMs, CPAs, CPLs, and the list goes on! Learning how to master each requires more than a glossary of terms. It takes years of expertise and insider know-how.
Enter Canberra’s marketing agencies. Marketing agencies work with businesses to create plans that attract ideal customers – and convert them. They are media aficionados of varied disciplines orchestrated together to create, test, implement and review any – or all aspects of a marketing plan.
They know their stuff and finding the right one is crucial. Selecting the wrong marketing agency is an expensive business mistake. Not just in dollars and time mind you, but also in learning. With so much at stake we have had rounded up the best marketing agencies that Canberra has to offer, do read on below.
What makes a great marketing agency?
While it’s easy to be impressed by cool corporate culture and trendy offices, what you should really focus on when selecting an agency is how they will work for you. The best marketing agencies forge strategic business partnerships that keep customers coming and business growing. So, what is the secret sauce? Here are some things to keep in mind when selecting a marketing agency:
- Industry fluent. Knowledge is perhaps one of the greatest assets of marketing agencies, separating the top ten percent from the rest. Leading agencies know their industry – and yours – inside out. They are experts in all facets of marketing, be it strategy, creative, or media and may perhaps be specialists in an area or two. The best agencies also understand your industry. They are familiar with key indicators and drivers for your category; and have a firm grasp of consumer need. Hiring an agency with experience in your industry will minimise the learning curve hence lifting the return on your budget.
- Focus on growth. Some marketing agencies may lose sight of the bigger picture placing a heavy emphasis on things like design, engagement, or leads. The best marketing agencies however know why they have a seat at the table. They understand that the fundamental goal of marketing is to attract consumers, drive business growth, and raise revenue. As such, they look beyond marketing tactics and prioritise your business goals as they would their own.
- Lateral thinkers. Great agencies love nothing more than solving a problem and breaking the mould. They will be lateral thinkers looking for innovative ways to gain cut through, with both consumers and their marketing budget. The best focus on your business needs while adopting a design thinking approach. That is, devising solutions with the consumer in mind and linking back to revenue growth accordingly.
- Speak your language. Effective communication is a foundation for any healthy business relationship. So, when it comes to selecting a marketing agency look for one with a complimentary communication style. An agency that communicates clearly from top to down, takes out buzzwords, and speaks in real terms will help build fluid rapport. The best agencies ask the right questions and really listen to what you have to say.
- Transparent. In the age of smoke and mirrors transparency within marketing has become ever more important. The best agencies are an open book, providing their clients with full transparency over costs, estimates, commissions, and of course data. Every successful business knows that data is a precious commodity, so elect to work with an agency that considers their data yours.
While not a digital marketing agency, Region Media has one of the largest and fastest-growing digital and social audiences in Canberra and the surrounding region. Co-founded by ex-Allhomes CEO Tim White, and UberGlobal founder Michael McGoogan, Region Media serves residents of Canberra and its surrounds by facilitating important conversations through trusted, balanced, journalism and offers an unparalleled platform to access an audience of 510,000+ monthly unique users.
Headlined by long-standing Canberra news site, RiotACT, Region Media also publishes About Regional in South East NSW, and RiotACT China, Canberra’s most trusted local Chinese news platform. Each publication delivers local news with a focus on issues that affect Canberra’s community.
Region Media offer a multifaceted digital approach hinging on a carefully constructed strategy of display, search, content and of course amplification. Anyone and everyone considering marketing to locals should speak to Region Media first or in partnership with their chosen marketing agency.
Give us a call on 02 6188 7123 or email email@example.com to see how a partnership with Region Media can help your business.
The best marketing agencies in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Agency 9 is a boutique marketing agency based locally in Griffith and founded in 2013. They specialise in public relations, social media and activations, designed to attract attention and drive conversation amongst your target audience.
Agency 9 are known for achieving big things for their clients. They work with each to craft a story and devise and implement campaigns through the channels your audience consumes. For distinctive and attention-grabbing campaigns look to Agency 9.
Duncan Brede, Dealer Principal of National Capital Motors Group shared this review of Agency 9, “It doesn’t matter what challenges I throw at them, or what the project is, Agency 9 provides solutions and outcomes. We have a good relationship, one that I really value and trust. I trust Agency 9 that they work in our best interests. They treat every dollar or every project as if it’s their own, we’ve been really happy and I’d happily refer them to anyone.”
Founded locally in a small backyard office over a decade ago, Threesides Marketing have grown to be a powerhouse in marketing communications. They offer their expertise to businesses functioning as the marketing department, or trusted advisors.
With a sound skill set in planning, strategy, and implementation, their wheelhouse extends to a specialisation in digital and design. Digitally, Threesides offer search and social services along with web development and analytics. Moreover, look to Threesides for branding, graphics, and website design.
Torrien Lau shared this fabulous review of Threesides Marketing on Google, “They work to understand your needs, help you to understand the approach and deliver exactly what’s best for the business. Oh, and they are good people too!!!”
Exalted Digital are a highly regarded digital marketing agency with a core specialisation in search and social. Their team of digital growth specialists combine agile practices, trusted methodologies, and growth techniques to over deliver on social and search goals.
Exalted Digital pride themselves on being able to nurture your real-world brand, platform, or business, and making it flourish in the digital realm. Their platform specific expertise is hard to look past, particularly when it comes to build long-term performance strategies.
Ric Hambrook shared his great experience with Exalted Digital on Google, “Kevin has a passion for helping businesses reach their clients online and building their online profiles. We have been going from strength to strength online. We highly recommend Exalted Digital.”
Established in 2006, The Mark Agency is a full-service agency specialising in the integration of traditional and new media. Their mantra is growth unleashed, founded on marketing principles that solve business challenges.
The Mark Agency has a team of in-house strategic, creative, and technical experts offering an expansive range of marketing services. From strategy and consulting, to creative and design, and digital and technology look to The Mark Agency for all your needs under the one roof.
Damian Stocks shared had this to say about The Mark Agency on Google, “Great team over at TMA, highly recommended!”
With close to twenty years in business, CRE8IVE have forged a formidable reputation as one of Canberra’s leading communication and creative agencies. Their steadfast focus is on driving business growth; bring more than simply great ideas to the table.
Services include communications, digital, brand, and creative strategy and development. Their team of talented specialists work with businesses to define their identity and build their brand story. To make a lasting impression on your core consumer look to CRE8IVE.
Sean Davey shared this wonderful review of CRE8IVE on Facebook, “Intelligent, forward thinking and friendly people, CRE8IVE is the agency to choose.”
With close to fifteen years in business, locally founded Coordinate are known for delivering interwoven strategy, creative, and media that builds brands. Coordinate are all about making an impact – whether through branding to audiences, or commercially to businesses via growth.
Their team of marketing specialists offer an array of services anchored in branding and creative, from corporate communication all the way through to content creation and more. Coordinate also offers media planning and relations, rounding out the mix.
If you’re looking for more information on marketing agencies in Canberra, you might like our article on the best web designers Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with marketing agencies in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the marketing agencies listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.