Skip to content Skip to main navigation

Body of second missing man found following boat overturn at Narooma

Michael Weaver 18 March 2020 1
The Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter

The Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter searches for a missing person after boat rollover near Narooma. Photo: Westpac Life Saver Rescue Helicopter Twitter.

A member of the public has located the body of a 32-year-old man who has been missing since a small boat overturned in the Narooma Bar last week.

NSW Police said that at about 7:30 am today (18 March), the body of the 32-year-old man was located approximately 200m offshore by a member of the public near Glasshouse Rocks, Narooma.

Police and NSW Maritime attended and the body was brought to shore. The body was formally identified as that of the missing 32-year-old man.

A 75-year-old man was confirmed dead after the boat overturned in heavy seas at Narooma on Tuesday, 10 March.

The 32-year-old was been reported missing and a search began.

Witnesses reported seeing a small open runabout overturn near the inlet at Bar Rock Road, Narooma before 6:15 am. Two men launched their boat at Apex Park boat ramp before it capsized while navigating the Narooma Bar.

A large-scale search and rescue operation soon swung into action, with four watercraft from Marine Rescue Narooma, Tuross and Bermagui. People in boats nearby also assisted in the search for the missing man.

NSW Police confirmed that the 75-year-old man was retrieved from the ocean and members of the public performed CPR on him prior to the arrival of emergency services. Officers attached to the Marine Area Command then commenced a search for a 32-year-old man.

“At about 6:30 am, emergency services received a report that a boat had overturned near the inlet at Bar Rock Road near Narooma, with two men entering the water,” a NSW Police spokesperson said.

“NSW Ambulance paramedics attended and treated the man but he later died.

“The second man remains outstanding and officers attached to Marine Area Command have commenced a search, assisted by Marine Rescue, Westpac helicopter, Surf Life Saving Australia and South Coast Police District. Inquiries are continuing.”

Locals in the Narooma area also report there has been a strong swell of about two to three metres running, with clear conditions.

Original Article published by Michael Weaver on About Regional.


What's Your Opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with
One Response to Body of second missing man found following boat overturn at Narooma
Filter
Order
grim123 grim123 9:18 am 12 Mar 20

Why anybody would try to cross the Narooma bar on anything but a calm day is beyond me. It is sketchy and dangerous at the best of times. Tons of boats have been lost there.

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2020 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | riotact.com.cn | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site