Police Wrap – 21 October

johnboy 21 October 2008 49

1. 16 year old charged with ram raiding!

Detectives from ACT Policing’s Territory Investigations Group Property Crime team arrested a juvenile male of Hughes, on multiple charges yesterday (October, 20).

The 16-year-old alleged offender was arrested in relation to a ram-raid, aggravated burglaries, stolen motor vehicles and police pursuits, after handing himself into police.

He was charged with ride/drive motor vehicle without consent, unlicensed driving, aggravated burglary and theft. He was bailed from the Regional Watch House at City Station to appear in the ACT Children’s Court on Thursday, October 30, 2008.

49 Responses to Police Wrap – 21 October
Skidbladnir Skidbladnir 1:43 pm 22 Oct 08

Offtopic, but I would encourage people to only quote the actually relevant parts of comments.
It saves reading time, means more people know what you’re actually referring to, and shows a bit of respect to a time-poor audience.
(Yes peterh, I mean you)

(Riot Codergimp: Some kind of quoted:new text ratio could possibly work.)

peterh peterh 1:37 pm 22 Oct 08

dexi said :

“stick and carrot is needed to help them off the dodgy path, but i think there is too much carrot, and not enough stick…”

Sticks are for breaking up and putting at the bottom of the compost heap for air. Compost is then placed on the garden by the child. Carrots are planted and thrive. Child eats carrots and feels full. What is left goes on the compost heap. Child sees and feels growth. Cycle of life as a demonstration.

Beat child with stick, then shove carrot in his face and tell him he cant have it because he is scum. Cycle of life in mans real world.

eh?
what?

I think you missed the point. They will be in a remand centre. They need to be rehabilitated. they don’t need luxuries that they certainly don’t have in the cold hard reality they come from. they need hope, they need passion to excel and drag themselves out of their personal hells. If we give them luxuries, why would they want to leave?

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to sell fish and he eats steak.”

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 1:33 pm 22 Oct 08

Wow, ‘Gaylord’ – there’s a term I haven’t heard for a while! Let’s try to make it a bit smarter for RiotACT comments, however.

peterh peterh 1:30 pm 22 Oct 08

dexi said :

“having a pool, indoor sports and outdoor sports facilities is probably aimed at showing these kids a better life, “

I think they have access to all these facilities already in the “real world”. Its not showing a better life when its already in all our lives.

The luxuries that they don’t have in the “real world” are, good food, health, shelter and role models. Sport goes a long way to providing some of this. It probably is the most basic and cheapest way of doing it.

really? you don’t pay to go to the pool, do you? I do. if these kids are from a bad socioeconomic background, can they afford to go to the pool?

In regards to sport, who will they be playing against? each other. would you be keen to leave a facility that lets you play sport, socialise and generally have more fun than at home? not likely.

Sport is a good rehabilitation tool, but not from within a remand centre. The focus should be on getting the local clubs involved in getting to these kids prior to their descent into crime. Perhaps the local charities can organise member drives from within their organisations for eligible kids. you have to consider that for many of them, the cost of boots, uniforms and protective gear is far out of reach…

Why are there so many underage children committing these crimes? because no-one is paying any attention to them, providing facilities such as the “youth” centres, and skate parks.

Not much interest if you don’t want to loll around playing cards, or aren’t a skatie.

where are the programs to get these kids excited about their personal dreams, desires and futures?

bugger the parents. Lets start fixing these kids perspective of life. Remand centres won’t do it.

programs that were set up when i was younger like youth insearch and the open family foundation weren’t able to work miracles, but we did take the time to sit and listen to the kids, and i see several of them from time to time – they are now contributing members of society…

on the flip side, i have seen kids from the youth centres who have slipped further into drugs, crime and other activities that no child should have to be exposed to.

whoever wins the right to rule the ACT needs to look at addressing the problems these kids face. now.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 1:23 pm 22 Oct 08

johnboy (RiotACT Gaylord) has spoken. Step back!

Thanks for the concern newbie – I’m sure I can handle myself (and JB). I also agree with Dan that your “gay” comments go beyond immature and I’d be a little more worried about your future on RA than mine.

@Peterh, I think you’ve summed what I’ve been harping on about perfectly. Well and eloquently put mate! Saving my attempts and risk of MOD – cheers!

wombat_stew wombat_stew 1:16 pm 22 Oct 08

Danman said :

Wombat Stew – the gay jokes have been pretty lame/old fashioned since …say…1995 – get with the times brother, like calling people nimbys and softheads (Thanks for that one bonfire)

Look, if you’re johnboy’s lover that’s fine. I don’t have anything against gays. In fact I have a thing for Woody Mann-Caruso, but apparently he’s with Ralph now?

dexi dexi 1:15 pm 22 Oct 08

Danman Danman 1:09 pm 22 Oct 08

dexi dexi 1:03 pm 22 Oct 08

wombat_stew wombat_stew 1:02 pm 22 Oct 08

johnboy said :

Put a sock in it TM or I will.

johnboy (RiotACT Gaylord) has spoken. Step back!

VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy VYBerlinaV8_the_one_they_all_copy 1:01 pm 22 Oct 08

having a pool, indoor sports and outdoor sports facilities is probably aimed at showing these kids a better life, but it won’t be a motivator, it will, in fact, be a negative impact for them. providing them with a safe, secure rehabilitation environment is far better than showering them with luxuries that they don’t have back in the real world. stick and carrot is needed to help them off the dodgy path, but i think there is too much carrot, and not enough stick…

Well said. Too many people generally seem to think that having ‘stuff’ makes people happy and well adjusted, when just the opposite is true.

johnboy johnboy 12:38 pm 22 Oct 08

Put a sock in it TM or I will.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 12:35 pm 22 Oct 08

Would hell encourage or discourage Tylersmayhem poor attitude.

Poor attitude in your opinion maybe. If Caf cannot stand losing arguments by waffling on angles not even presented by me, then I’d say Caf has a poor attitude. I have no problem people arguing their points with me, but don’t put words or opinions in my mouth. If you have misconstrued my opinions, not having the manners to admit it might be your failing Caf, rather than mine.

peterh peterh 12:00 pm 22 Oct 08

the fact that this facility is being touted as a premier human rights compliant facility is the sticking point. I understand the need for rehab for these young criminals, but at what cost to me, the taxpayer or to the families of victims, families who are the victims?

dexi dexi 11:29 am 22 Oct 08

Would hell encourage or discourage Tylersmayhem poor attitude.

caf caf 11:14 am 22 Oct 08

Go to hell.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 11:13 am 22 Oct 08

Anyway, this thread has long since descended into farce. I’ve stated my piece.

And stating your “piece” has certainly helped it get to farce status – I can’t agree more!

caf caf 10:49 am 22 Oct 08

I have read your previous posts; maybe you should reread them? In particular I was responding to:

These little turds are being put in a facility that provide way more “fun” and top quality services than they would get at home. Not really a deterrent IMHO.

Which clearly is benchmarking conditions in the prison against their putative conditions at home.

Anyway, this thread has long since descended into farce. I’ve stated my piece.

tylersmayhem tylersmayhem 10:35 am 22 Oct 08

And I’m saying that just because they’re treated badly at home is not a compelling reason to treat them worse in detention.

Again Caf, please read my previous posts. I am NOT suggesting to treat them “worse” than they get treated in their homes. I am simply stating, don’t treat them with rewards in form of great facilities for breaking the law.

There is a vast difference between treating someone worse than they get at home, and treating them 10 times BETTER than they get treated at home!

I think I’m not alone on this one Caf. You don’t have agree with me, but don’t take my comments out of context!

Gerry-Built Gerry-Built 10:14 am 22 Oct 08

peterh said :

What I do, say or believe defines me.

(peterh @ #19)