News

Excellence in Public Sector consulting

The return of Kate?

By johnboy 28 August 2008 93

The following item was in today’s “Tips and Rumours” in Crikey:

Former Liberal Chief Minister Kate Carnell (aka The Hospital Imploder) has put up her hand to run for Bill Stefaniak’s just-vacated seat in Ginninderra. The catch: she will only do it if made leader. Zed, already reeling over Stefaniak’s departure, has been blindsided by this dramatic offer and as I write is desperately scrambling to shore up his own support amongst his colleagues. This has added fuel to a fire that has started between Zed and his up-to-now loyal sidekick Brendan Smyth. Word is they had both decided on their own separate candidate to fill the Ginninderra spot, sparking serious tensions between the two. A meeting had been scheduled at the Deakin HQ this Saturday with Liberal campaign officials in an attempt to avoid a serious rift emerging, but how this will play out now that Kate has thrown her cards on the table is anyone’s guess. All extreme options are apparently being considered because our latest polling has shown that Vicki Dunne is the single most disliked member of the Assembly from all parties. And the Party knows that if Vicki is the front-runner then they’re in serious strife out North. How Andrew will untangle this mess will be interesting to watch. To further complicate the situation, it is no secret that Kate is very close to Liberal money man Jim Murphy, who is funding in entirety the Liberal’s advertising campaign (said to total more than $284,000 for TV advertising alone). What conditions are attached to this money? Is Big Jim about to make Zed an offer he can’t refuse?

This makes some sense…

UPDATED: This in from an anonymous snout in media land who’s been chasing the story:

“Kate refused to comment, Bill no comment, Andrew Heath is ‘unavailable for comment'”

ANOTHER UPDATE: WIN News tonight reported Kate was not going to run. Mark Parton however is going to stand as an independent in Ginninderra, which will test his popularity.

What’s Your opinion?

93 Responses to
The return of Kate?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
mutley...again 2:43 pm 29 Aug 08

I think the 4 posts went by because everyone has recognised that jakez can’t seem to let things go in a single post. I don’t think I’ve seen as many multi-post clusters since the halcyon days of CC.

Granny 2:42 pm 29 Aug 08

Ewwwww! We would most certainly not want our fries looking like that ….

*heh heh heh*

peterh 2:33 pm 29 Aug 08

jakez, the 4 post went by innocently, i was surprised.

would you want to be served by Smith, Burke or Hargreaves? probably take too long, burger would be stone cold and the fries would look like the ALP’s social experiment…

Granny 2:32 pm 29 Aug 08

I heard they’d offered John Hargreaves the role of Gallery Sleaze in the movie ‘Lust and Revenge’.

jakez 2:25 pm 29 Aug 08

Crikey said :

Just wish someone would offer Brendan Smith, Jacqui Burke and John Hargreaves a job so they’d leave as well.

Anyone here own a Maccas franchise?

Crikey 2:07 pm 29 Aug 08

Skidbladnir 1:56 pm 29 Aug 08

I miss Troy and his occasional drop-ins. 🙁

jakez 12:55 pm 29 Aug 08

CanberraGreen said :

next you guys will be saying that Senator Gaz is making a return!

any prospect of Gaz’s campaigning support act Williams turning up in Belconnen?

I wish mate, I wish.

jakez 12:53 pm 29 Aug 08

God I wish RiotACT had editing facilities.

jakez 12:52 pm 29 Aug 08

MrMagoo said :

Jakez, I was making the point, which obviously missed you completely that here we are mere months out from an Election and the ACT Liberals are once again embroiled in leadership tensions and controversy.

Ahh no Mr Magoo, I completely understood your point. The problem is the Liberals aren’t embroiled in leadership tensions. Apart from people like yourself on RiotACT drinking the koolaid, this story went nowhere.

The news of CBC backing to Parton and the CAP further demolishes it.

jakez 12:51 pm 29 Aug 08

MrMagoo said :

Ahh no Mr Magoo, I completely understood your point. The problem is the Liberals aren’t embrioled in leadershp tensions. Apart from people like yourself on RiotACT drinking the koolaid, this story went nowhere.

The news of CBC backing to Parton and the CAP further demolishes it.

Thumper 12:42 pm 29 Aug 08

ACT Liberals are once again embroiled in leadership tensions and controversy

You mean like the Carnell beat up?

Granny 12:39 pm 29 Aug 08

MrMagoo said :

… the ACT Liberals are once again embroiled in leadership tensions and controversy.

Source?

MrMagoo 12:29 pm 29 Aug 08

My point about the grass painting incident was to further make my point that the next best option to Zed the ACT Liberals can concoct is the former CM who famously tried to fool the IOC inspection team, thus, do we want such a person as a CM once again.

So much for my lack of skepticism and analysis then.

Granny 12:07 pm 29 Aug 08

I haven’t heard that … but I did hear that Bob Brown has been having an affair with Kevin Rudd and is considering resigning from the Greens to stand for the ALP.

CanberraGreen 11:45 am 29 Aug 08

next you guys will be saying that Senator Gaz is making a return!

any prospect of Gaz’s campaigning support act Williams turning up in Belconnen?

Granny 9:53 am 29 Aug 08

bd84 said :

I heard a rumour that John Howard is planning to stand for the seat of Robertson in 2010.

jakez 9:25 am 29 Aug 08

bd84 said :

We’re slowly getting rid of the dead wood on both sides.. three left on liberal and on Labor plus one independent.

4 to 5 on liberal by my count bd.

bd84 10:44 pm 28 Aug 08

It can’t be any worse than having a campaign with Stanhopeless in it!

I’d believe that Kate Carnell running again just as much as someone saying John Howard is.. Load of BS.

ant 10:03 pm 28 Aug 08

postmanpat said :

What is it you hate so much about Zeds campaign JB,I didn’t think it was that bad

It’s got Zed in it.