19 November 2020

WorkSafe blitz finds more breaches at Throsby sites

| Kim Treasure
Join the conversation
2
A construction worker

A construction worker was seen on a roof without safety equipment. Photo: WorkSafe ACT.

WorkSafe ACT has re-visited residential construction sites in Throsby two weeks after its last blitz and issued new safety notices.

Yesterday (18 November), WorkSafe inspectors visited 15 sites and issued 21 improvement notices, nine prohibition notices and one infringement notice.

Just two weeks earlier, inspectors in Throsby issued 42 improvement notices, 12 prohibition notices and four infringement notices.

READ MORE WorkSafe shuts down 12 Throsby construction sites over safety concerns

The compliance activity was part of Operation Safe Prospect, WorkSafe ACT’s ongoing campaign to improve work health and safety (WHS) standards in the residential construction industry.

Despite the continuing breaches, Work Health and Safety Commissioner Jacqueline Agius said she was pleased with the results of yesterday’s operation, which was an improvement on the previous inspections earlier this month.

“We are glad to see a reduction in the number of notices issued at residential construction sites in Throsby this time, but there is still more work to be done to improve WHS standards,” she said.

“We continue to see safety risks at residential construction sites, which can lead to death or serious injury; in the photo [see above], the worker is performing high-risk work without any fall protection or edge protection in place. Persons conducting a business or undertakings (PCBUs) need to make sure they have safe systems of work in place and that safety is prioritised at their sites.

READ ALSO Scars of workplace motivate WorkSafe commissioner’s crackdown

“At our first visit to Throsby, we visited 18 residential construction sites and issued 12 prohibition notices, 42 improvement notices, and four infringement notices,” she said.

“Safety must come first so that every worker can make it home safely at the end of their shift.

“Through Operation Safe Prospect we will continue visiting and re-visiting greenfield sites in the Territory, to make sure that workers WHS obligations are complied with.”

Join the conversation

2
All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
Latest
russianafroman1:43 am 20 Nov 20

Keep it up keep doing these inspections because what’s happening over there is dangerous, greedy and completely evil

Many tradies don’t even seem to know which side of the road to drive/park on, and then you expect them to suddenly start behaving safely once they get to the job site?!

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.