Young Canberran women who are keen to enhance their skills in their area of passion are encouraged to enter an ACT Government grants program aimed to inspire local youth to Dream, Believe and Achieve.
The 2018 Audrey Fagan Young Women Enrichment Grants Program has officially opened and is aimed at providing an opportunity for young women to make decisions, take responsibility, or initiate projects with an experienced mentor of their choice by their side.
The ACT Government program will provide one-off grants of up to $2,000 to girls aged between 12 and 18, providing financial support for the teenagers to take their first steps towards achieving their goals.
ACT Minister for Women Yvette Berry believes the grants encourage and enable young ACT women to develop or enhance their skills in their area of passion, and have the potential to increase women’s participation in decision-making and leadership roles both now and into the future.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
The grants were established in 2007 in memory of the ACT’s first female Chief of Police, Audrey Fagan, who was a strong supporter of women in leadership roles and also a generous mentor to young women.
To be eligible for an Audrey Fagan Young Women’s Enrichment Grant, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be a young woman aged between 12 – 18 years of age (in the year the grant is applied for);
- be a resident of the ACT and/or attend an ACT school or be homeschooled in the ACT;
- have the support of a mentor (more details in the link provided below);
- have not received an Enrichment Grant or Youth Interact Scholarship in the past two years;
- priority will be given to young women from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, cultural and linguistically diverse backgrounds and/or in receipt of an Australian Government Health Care Card;
- grants will be restricted to projects and programs within Australia.
Grants applications close at 5 pm on Friday 31 August 2018. For more information on the grants program and to apply, visit here.