When it comes to taking fantastic photos, perspective is everything. Capturing landscapes, buildings, major project and special events like weddings from the air produces exciting visuals in a way that traditional photography cannot.
If you want to fly high with perspective, you’ll want a professional photographer who is an expert at aerial photography, whether captured with unmanned equipment like drones, or manned equipment like light aircraft or helicopters. You’ll also want a photographer who can guarantee they fly safely and legally, while respecting privacy laws and the environment.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing an aerial photographer, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great aerial photography service?
Aerial photography is an area of expertise and not all photographers are skilled in this area. Choosing the right aerial photography service will give you confidence you’ll get memorable images from your photo shoot.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing an aerial photography service.
- High-quality gear. It takes high-quality equipment to capture spectacular aerial shots. Choose a professional aerial photographer who has invested in the right gear, not one who has bought, for example, a cheap drone at a local retail outlet.
- Stunning portfolio. One of the best ways to judge a potential photographer is to check their portfolio for aerial imagery, especially because aerial photography is different than other types of photography.
- Experience and style. Most aerial photographers specialise in certain types of events and projects, such as special life events like weddings, property and real estate, or commercial. Look for a photographer who has experience in your type of project and the style you like.
- Licensing and legal requirements. You’ll want a talented, licensed professional who knows how to fly safely and legally. Government rules and regulations apply with aerial photography, and sometimes it’s not legal to shoot over a certain area without permission or at night without authorisation from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority. You’ll want a photographer who “understands the rules” so you don’t get images you can’t use.
- Fair pricing. Using an aerial photographer can cost more than a traditional photographer. They need special equipment. Research a few photography services to get a feel for the market, so you’re not paying significantly more than you need to.
The best aerial photographers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Led by experienced videographer George Tsotsos, Canberra Film provides uncompromising visuals from the air and on the ground, compiled into a single video or photography package. Its team is fully licensed for drone and night unmanned aerial vehicle operations.
Canberra Film is versatile and no project is too big or small. The company offers affordable packages for clients in the public and private sectors and has worked across many industries including Defence, sports and media.
Overall Photography is one of Australia’s leading aerial photography and cinematography companies. CASA-certified pilots and qualified photographers and cinematographers are based in Canberra.
Drones are used to capture images for personal use, as well as TV, film, marketing, real estate, and corporate projects.
On Google, Cass Emily wrote, “Nothing is too difficult for Overall Photography, and they always have a solution. I have no hesitation in recommending Tim and his team highly to anyone who might be looking for aerial photography/videography in Canberra.”
Geoff Comfort is a Canberra-based aerial photographer specialising in architectural, commercial, corporate, and industrial aerial photography. Working exclusively with business-to-business and business-to-government clients, Geoff Comfort prides himself on his professionalism and high quality shots.
Geoff captures photographs using drones, helicopters or light aircraft depending on location and client need. Whatever it takes, this impressive aerial photographer will showcase your project in the best way possible.
Skyline Photography specialises in affordable real estate photography and videos, including aerial footage. The company recommends aerial photography for homes in impressive locations, and as an inexpensive way to keep off-the-plan buyers updated about development progress.
With Skyline Photography, clients benefit from clear communication, effective project management and service with a smile.
Lidia Galea wrote on Google, “The service was prompt, professional and everything delivered in a timely manner and just as we wanted.”
Capturing great aerial shots takes more than just a drone pilot licence. The best providers also have experience across areas including photography, video production and business management. They make sure your footage both looks great and is suitable for your target audience – whether that’s property buyers, TV audiences or prospective customers.
That’s where Capital Remote Aviation comes in. Since 2018, it has provided drone and pilot hire services in Canberra for real estate aerial photography, aerial asset inspections, TV and film work and 2D/3D modelling.
With a background in commercial video production, founder and chief pilot Jamie Graham understands how to capture high quality footage. Combined with his experience in real estate sales and running a residential maintenance and construction business, Jamie has a unique perspective on which shots will work best for each client.
Capital Remote Aviation is fully licenced and insured. Jamie is an IREX Command Instrument Rated drone pilot, which means he is licenced to fly beyond line-of-sight – perfect for mining and environmental surveys or monitoring crop health.
As for the equipment, Capital Remote Aviation uses a Matrice 600 (with 30x zoom camera and 5x cinematic camera payloads), a Mavic 2 Pro and a Phantom 4.
If you’re looking for more information on photography, check out our articles on the best photographers and the best wedding photographers Canberra has to offer. Or, if you’re looking for more help with displaying your message, our articles on the best videographers, best billboards and digital signage and best marketing agencies in Canberra may help.
Your experience with aerial photographers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the aerial photographers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.