If you have a blocked drain in your home, chances are you’ll know it. Your sinks or toilets might be slow to drain, overflowing or making unusual gurgling sounds. Other times, the first sign of a blockage is the whiff of an unpleasant odour emanating from a drain.
A qualified and experienced blocked drain specialist can clear a clogged drain, fix a broken one and maintain your drains to keep your home’s plumbing operating at its best.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a blocked drain specialist, and where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great blocked drain plumber?
Choosing the right expert to fast-track fixing your blocked drain will take the stress out of a situation that, if not fixed quickly, can cause serious damage to your home or property.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a blocked drain specialist.
- Experience. Fixing heavy-duty blockages requires specialist knowledge that not all plumbers have. Check that your chosen specialist has the experience to get the job done.
- Reliable and respectful. Your blocked drain specialist should arrive when they say they will (give or take a few minutes) and be ready to work. They’ll treat your home just as they would their own, will be careful with your belongings and keep disruption to a minimum.
- Prompt communication. If you’re like most people, you’ll want your drain unblocked quickly. Select a blocked drain specialist who responds to your query quickly and can get to your home as soon as practical.
- Transparent pricing. Your blocked drain specialist should be upfront about how much things will cost. Quotes should be detailed and itemised and so should invoices. You shouldn’t be surprised at the end of the job with unexpected fees or charges.
- Specialist parts and products. For longevity and real value-for-money, opt for a blocked drain specialist who uses the best parts and/or products for the job (not always the ones that cost the least).
- Appropriate licences and insurances. In the ACT, all plumbers need to be licensed and meet eligibility requirements (such as having completed a relevant qualification). Double check that your blocked drain specialist is licensed and has current public and products liability insurance to protect you if work doesn’t go to plan.
Important essentials to check before engaging a plumber
Master Plumbers ACT recommends you conduct these checks before engaging a plumber. They’re easy and only take five minutes. They’ll ensure you don’t engage a dodgy plumber.
- Check that the plumber has a registered business by checking they’re registered through the Australian Business Registration website.
- Check that the plumber is registered on the Access Canberra List of Licensed Plumbers. If you can’t find their name, they’re probably not licensed.
- Check the plumber’s website and advertising. Make sure their ABN and license number are posted and check if they have Public Liability Insurance. Also check if they hold a membership in a reputable industry association such as Master Plumbers ACT. If they don’t have a website or don’t have this information on their site, it’s likely best to move on.
- Ask the plumber you choose to bring proof of their Public Liability Insurance when they arrive on site.
The best blocked drain plumbers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook and maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
MSJ Plumbing Group is a family owned and operated company with more than 30 years of fixing and fitting plumbing and gas in Canberra and surrounding region. All work and materials are guaranteed and MSJ Plumbing Group provides hassle-free service 24/7. Same day service is guaranteed for residential and commercial emergencies. Transparent, upfront fixed prices are provided—no hidden costs.
All tradesmen working for MSJ Plumbing Group are fully licensed, qualified and certified.
MSJ Plumbing Group uses the latest equipment to pinpoint drain blockages and recommend the best possible solution. Plumbers clear drain blockages on the spot. MSJ Plumbing Group assists with blocked bathroom, kitchen, toilet and laundry drains, stormwater drains and blocked sewer drains.
Vanessa Vanderzwart wrote on Google, “Highly recommend! Was super happy with the fast service and affordability compared to other local businesses. Will be using again in the future!”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2013104. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
O’Neill & Brown Plumbing Service (ONBPS) specialises in all types of plumbing services, including fixing hot water systems, unblocking drains or sewers, and or installing new plumbing as part of renovations.
Founded in Queanbeyan more than 50 years ago, ONBPS plumbers offer a comprehensive range of general and preventative plumbing services, always aiming to minimise running costs and extend the life of waterworks for long-lasting, safe, functional plumbing. The team is qualified to deal with potentially dangerous gas leaks, and service gas connections and appliances.
ONBPS works to high standards to meet customer standards. All plumbers are employed direct by the company – ONBPS doesn’t hire contractors. ONBPS plumbers are strong on quality workmanship and use high-quality, genuine parts and products that last. All jobs are photographed to ensure work meets stringent quality requirements.
ONBPS conducts extensive employee training so plumbers are up-to-date on the latest techniques and trained to treat customer homes as their own.
Most of ONBPS’ business comes from referrals. Customers appreciate regular communication, how work is explained before it begins, and that plumbers keep work sites neat and tidy.
Carmel Jekabsons wrote on Google, “Prompt service. On time. Daniel was polite and respectful. Straight down to work and explained each step to me. It was an easy, quick fix for a blocked bath drain even though another Canberra plumber had led me to believe it was going to be a complex job. Could not have been happier with the service and would absolutely recommend.”
ACT licensed plumber: 2005108. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Founded in 2010 by Tom Martin, Water Tight Canberra provides plumbing, drainage and gas fitting services in the ACT and surrounding region. All work is guaranteed, and plumbers are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. With Water Tight Canberra, drains are cleared as soon as possible and work areas left in pristine condition.
As a national 2019 Telstra Business Award winner, Water Tight Canberra has a reputation for clearing clogged drains, fixing broken drains and maintaining drains to keep home plumbing operating at its best. No job is too big or small and the Water Tight Canberra team has the skills, equipment and ability to get the job done asap so clients can get on with their lives.
When you choose Water Tight Canberra, you can expect to have your drains cleared as soon as possible, and the work area left in a pristine condition.
Customers say they appreciate Water Tight Canberra’s punctuality, commitment to customer service and honest advice.
Water Tight Canberra is currently offering a special offer for blocked drains in Canberra. Save 50 per cent on the use of a sewer CCTV camera when booking to have a drain cleared with an electric eel or jet rodder. To redeem, mention this offer when booking.
Telstra Business Award winner, Water Tight Canberra has a reputation for quality plumbing services – including repairing and replacing hot water systems – in the ACT and region.
On Google, Maria Hart wrote, “I called Water Tight to fix a blocked underground drain in my backyard. I had a plumber turn up following day and fixed the problem pronto. No more flooded backyard. Very pleased with the service provided.”
ACT licensed plumber: 2017441. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Jet Blast Plumbing is a local family run business that specialises in clearing blocked drains. With over 25 years’ experience, they offer a quick response time and are equipped with the latest tools to have your blocked drain cleared fast. Emergency call-outs are no problem as they have a plumber available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
Jet Blast Plumbing are local, licensed and will locate and clear your blockage in no time. They are well equipped with a drain camera and high pressure water jetter which boasts 31 horsepower and expels 31 litres of water per minute.
Jet Blast Plumbing offers a $0 call out fee (some conditions apply) and will provide a flat rate fee before commencing any work. They are also qualified to carry out extensive drain dig up and re-location services.
As Vanessa Clark wrote on Google, “I submitted a query via the webpage, got a call within 5 minutes and within 15 minutes Tony was already at my place unblocking the drain.”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2018299.
Blueline Plumbing & Gas has been servicing Canberra’s residents for around 13 years. The multi-award winning team of fully licensed tradespeople specialise in residential jobs, and understand that the quality of their work is paramount to your family’s safety and wellbeing. If you’ve got a blocked drain, whether it’s sewer or stormwater, Blueline is equipped to help you with their CCTV inspection and top-of-the-line equipment.
As happy customer Ross writes in their Google review, “I contacted Anthony for repairing a broken storm water pipe. Anthony and his team are punctual and professional and did a fantastic job. Highly recommend Anthony and his team.”
If you’re looking for more specialised plumbing services, check out our other articles on the best plumbers, the best emergency plumbers, the best commercial plumbers, the best toilet repair specialists, the best hot water systems repairers and the best gas fitters in Canberra.
Your experience with blocked drain plumbers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you used any of the drain specialists listed above? Share your experience in the comments below.