Canberra’s gardens are truly magnificent things. These living, breathing, art installations line the streets from Griffith to Lyneham and everywhere in between. Offering not only visual pleasure; our gardens are a space in which we unwind, entertain, or simply be.
Whether your garden is an intimate terrace, a quarter acre block, or a biophilic commercial masterpiece they all share the same needs. And these are a good foundation, nutrients, water, light and some tender loving care.
These foundations are essentially the landscaping frameworks upon which many green spaces are built. From sand and soil to garden mixes and grass, this also includes the likes of decorative pebbles, gravel, and rocks. So where does one source such essential items? From a landscape supplier.
While most of us are acquainted with nurseries, fewer have had the need to call on a landscaping supplier. As bulk material specialists, landscape suppliers’ source and supply all the necessary items to create your garden. For more on the region’s best along with some helpful aspects to keep in mind do read on below.
What makes a great landscaping supplies store?
A great landscape supplies store helps to turn your green dreams into a reality. Their expertise and industry know-how provides peace of mind and assurance that comes with knowing you’ve made the right selection. It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a landscape supplier:
- Professional team. Investing in a green space takes more than simply buying a few plants. There is so much more to consider, and much of this is beyond the knowledge of the average gardener. From soil types to climate appropriate toppings, each landscaping product comes with its own recommended usage cases and call outs. The best suppliers know this well, and only employ professionally trained teams. Look for experience, industry connections, specialised knowledge, and sound product expertise.
- Comprehensive range. Great landscaping supplies stores boast comprehensive ranges stocking products from all the leading suppliers. They offer a carefully curated selection that tailors to market needs, key trends, and both residential and commercial clients. The best suppliers are effectively a one-stop-shop, with addressable needs serviced all under the one roof.
- Specialised products. Much like every other industry, landscaping suppliers are evolving their product mix to cater to the needs of clients. Many now offer eco-conscious and sustainable options, with a focus on material origins to boot. If such requirements are important to you be sure to research and compare accordingly. While these products may attract a premium, they do offer many valuable benefits.
- Clear contracts. When it comes to quotes and price lists the best suppliers are completely transparent and forthcoming. They offer free quotes, alternative prices for bulk, and are free of hidden charges and taxes. Some may also offer product guarantees which are certainly worth considering. And be sure to review any contracts of sale carefully to understand your rights and obligations.
- Additional services. While some landscape suppliers will stock only soft or hard scape materials, others will cover most of your gardening needs under the single roof. Similarly, some suppliers will offer a range of additional services such as measure and quote, delivery, and installation. Furthermore, others will work with a wide network of specialist professionals related to the landscaping industry. If you needs extend beyond simply soil, or you need some extra advice it might be worth finding a supplier that fits the bill
The best landscape supplies in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
From humble beginnings Lo Pilato Bros commenced operations in 1959 with a single truck supplying landscape material, before expanding their business to include earthworks for both residential and commercial customers.
Today Lo Pilato Bros provides premium quality products sourced from the finest suppliers and private quarries in NSW. Offering an extensive range of sand, soil, mulch, compost, decorative gravel, rocks, and quarry products they are certainly worth a visit.
irsansom shared this review on Google, “As a DIY landscaper I previously ordered landscaping supplies from Canberra's largest supplier…. I was then recommended to Lo Pilato Bros. Their organic recycled mulch is superb, free of contaminants... Great website, very prompt delivery, and the nicest, most helpful truck driver in my 50 years of supervising building sites.”
Since 1954 Corkhill Bros have extracted, processed, and sources an extensive range of landscaping supplies for residential and commercial clients in Canberra.
Offering soil, mulch, sand, gravel, and wall rocks, they also recycle garden organics and offer indoor and outdoor decorative garden items. Corkhill Bros also offer commercial equipment like chippers, trommels, and grinders for hire, along with skip bins.
With services spread across three locations in Mugga, Mitchell and Hume Corkhill Bros are an excellent choice.
Tansu had this to say about the team on Google, “I've used Corkhill Bros multiple times over the past few years. Always had good quality products and friendly customer service. I highly recommend them.”
Stonehenge Beltana is one of Canberra’s best landscaping and garden supply centres, operating for more than 50 years. Specialising in pavers, decorative rocks, retaining wall products, mulches, sands and soils, the professional team at Stonehenge Beltana provides quality service.
Alice Page wrote on Google, “Really impressed with the repeated high standard of customer service we've received from staff. Doing our landscaping ourselves we've relied on their expertise and they've continually delivered quality advice and a really friendly attitude …”
Established in 1960, Canberra Sand and Gravel is a landscaping supply company dedicated to helping the residential gardener. With three convenient outlets at Hume, Belconnen, and Mitchell they boast an impressive selection of soft and hard scape materials.
For those needing equipment, Canberra Sand and Gravel offers excavators, front end loaders and shredders to name a few, all available for hire. And should the project be a little larger, they cater to commercial scale needs too.
Jonathon Wade shared this review on Google, “Well set up for getting rid of your garden waste and for taking something home again! A large range of soils, mulches, sand, gravel and rocks from as small as a bag to however many cubic metres.”
The Wholesale Sleep Co are a soft and hard landscape supplier offering bulk quantities for residential and commercial customers.
With over twenty years’ experience they have curated a selection of landscaping materials from soils and sands through to retaining wall blocks, pavers, cement, and decorative stones. For an extensive range of quality landscaping materials all under the one roof look to Wholesale Sleeper Co.
Matthew Wass shared this review on Google, “Knowledgeable staff, affordable prices and excellent customer service. Highly recommended.”
For other essential services check out our articles on the best nurseries, the best turf and artificial grass, and the best landscapers that Canberra has to offer. You may also like our articles on the best irrigation suppliers and repairers, the best bricklayers or the best concreters Canberra has to offer. And to help keep your new green space looking great our content on the best gardening services and the best lawn mowing services may help.
Your experience with landscape supplies in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the landscape supplies stores listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between hard and soft landscaping?
As its name suggests, hard scaping references the hard aspects of landscaping such as concrete, bricks, gravel, and stone. Conversely soft scaping typically includes the soft materials and living elements such as all manner of plants, trees, and soil.
How are landscape materials priced?
In Australia trade measurement laws regulate the sale of garden landscape materials. As such there are generally three ways that lose materials can be priced and sold – by volume (cubic metres), by weight (kilogram or tonne), or by lot (heap, truck or trailer load or loader bucket). Some landscaping supplies are sold on a pre packaged basis which are labelled and priced in accordance with industry regulation for pre-packaged goods.
How do I know how much landscaping material I need?
One potential way to estimate material quantity is to determine the cubic metre volume of the garden space. This generally involves measuring the width, length, and depth of a garden space and will need to be calculated for each area and respective product. There are also many helpful online tools to assist. It is always worth consulting your supplier for an accurate calculation to minimise wastage and cost.
What type of soil do I have?
A simple soil texture test involves grabbing a handful of soil and squashing it in the palm of your hand. The consensus is that clay soil produces a malleable sausage shape, loam produces a shape but can’t be bent, and sand crumbles without really forming a shape at all. Bear in mind that this is simply a crude starting point. A landscaper or gardener will be able to apply more rigour to soil type and levels, so it’s worth consulting a professional.
Do landscape suppliers deliver?
Many landscaping supply companies do offer some method of deliver often with an associated cost. Always consult your provider for specifics and be prepared to organise an independent form of delivery if needed.