As a child who experienced early challenges in math, I know the frustration of being completely lost in the curriculum. Those who share in this experience will know that once you miss a milestone it becomes increasingly more difficult to bridge the gap.
Fast forward thirty-odd years, and my love of math (and spreadsheets) have played a huge role in defining my career for the better. But how? Well, it was due to some hard graft and some wonderful tutoring for which I am forever grateful.
Whether you are a parent looking to support for your child, or a student who knows they need a helping hand, you have come to the right place. Private tutoring has long been the aid to many a student, from kindergarten through to the final years of university.
Offering something unique to our class-based education system; tutoring thrives on individualised and personalised learning. Available for a raft of subjects, tutoring can be delivered one-to-one, in small groups, and even virtually.
Luckily for us Canberra is home to an abundance of great minds. We are spoilt for choice with thought leaders in business, politics, health, science, and of course education. So where does one find our regions finest tutors? Read on below to find out more.
What makes a great tutor?
Great tutors facilitate the lifelong learning of students. They do this by providing the foundational building blocks needed to progress forward. Bet it math or humanities and everything in between, they nurture academic growth in the leaders of tomorrow. To help you find the best and brightest tutoring minds look out for the following:
- Content specific expertise. While this may at first seem obvious, one cannot stress the importance of having real subject matter expertise. And when I say expertise, this means an innate understanding of academic content, knowing all concepts, ideas, and problems, inside out. The best tutors are indeed experts and use this to their full advantage. They enthral students by provide real-world anecdotes or project-based activities, bringing learning to life.
- Builds strong relationships. Tutors fulfil a different role to that of teachers and parents, putting them in a unique position to support students. Indeed, this support can only be successful once a strong relationship is formed. And an engaged student opens the door to trust and respect which are essential aspects of learning. Consequently, the best tutors listen, communicate, minimise weaknesses, and teach to strengths, building strong relationships.
- Personalised learning. No two students are ever alike, and neither should their learning be. And when it comes to delivering personalised learning experiences, private tuition really comes into its own. There is only so much a class or group environment can offer, and the best tutors recognise this. They identify strengths, find weaknesses, and bridge the gap between the two. Importantly, they make learning appropriately rigorous, challenging enough, yet not so tough that it creates frustration. Moreover, the best tutors will align their program with a student’s current class-based learning. They liaise with teachers or parents to obtain the syllabus and initiate regular communication to better understand opportunities for growth.
- Theory & application. Let’s face it. If we wanted to complete worksheets for days, we would simply find them on the internet! A true tutor artfully combines theory with practical application to hammer home academic learning. To do this they invest a significant amount of time ensuring you have the theory down pat. Then they make the theory real by allowing you to put it to practise. Be weary of any tutors who fail to provide the theoretical backbones which are essential to successful learning.
- Offers flexible delivery. The way we work, and indeed study, has evolved in recent times. And the need of flexible modes to deliver learning or tuition is ever more prevalent. Therefore, seek a tutor who offers services which cater to your needs. Many tutors will offer a combination of face-to-face and remote learning, be it through video conferencing, by phone, or live chat. Others may offer both individual and group-based sessions. Consider your availability and learning style; and look for a tutor that can support this.
The best tutors in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Looking for tutors that specialise in Maths or English? Big Improvements Tutoring could be the best option for your family. The qualified and experienced tutors at Big Improvements Tutoring aim to develop your child’s skills while boosting their confidence levels.
What sets Big Improvements Tutoring apart is their individual approach – they do not tutor in groups. Instead, they work one-on-one with each child to ensure their success at school and into adult life.
Martyna Judd had to say on Google, “Big Improvements Tutoring is a fantastic learning community, offering amazing support to kids of all ages, not just in their school work but also in building their self-confidence and enthusiasm towards learning….”
Bright Spark Tutoring provides one-on-one personalised home tutoring for students in Prep through to Year 12, covering all subjects including Maths, English, Science, Humanities and Business.
Bright Spark Tutoring appreciate that student needs vary and tailor their approach accordingly. They strive to provide students with the highest quality tuition, allowing them to gain confidence and view education as an experience in which they can excel.
As an accredited member of the Australian Tutoring Association with a team of experienced tutors Bright Spark Tutoring are an excellent choice.
Daniel Ng shared his great experience with the team on Google, “I recommend Bright Spark Tutoring Australia to all my friends and family. One of the best places with fantastic results!”
Specialising in top-quality home tutoring for students ranging from pre-school right through to university, Canberra Tutoring is a sure favourite.
The experienced team behind Canberra Tutoring work closely with you or your child to formulate an enjoyable and effective tutoring plan designed to meet your specific needs. And, with no lock-in contracts or booking fees, you can take advantage of their excellent services without breaking the bank – it’s a win-win.
Stefan Keller has this to say on Google, “My children have benefited greatly from the excellent tutoring offered. Very well organised business.”
Specialising in maths, physics, and chemistry, John’s Academy offers tuition services for students from year 6 through to university level.
Their approach combines extensive learning supported by practical application of concepts through comprehensive problem solving. Tuition takes the form of lectures, self-paced online courses, worksheets, and one-to-one learning.
Courses are instructed by founder by Dr John Yiseongjoon, who is currently a lecturer and senior investment analyst at the Australian National University. For that extra edge in maths, physics, or chemistry John’s Academy are an excellent choice.
Katarina Hydes shared this review on Facebook, “John is an excellent tutor. He explains subjects clearly and makes even complex areas easy to understand.”
Kumon have been providing supplementary after-school learning programmes for children globally for close to seventy years. Their learning methods aim to foster sound and capable students who grow to become independent contributors to society.
Locally, Kumon offers individualised programmes with a specialisation in Maths and English which help to strengthen academic skills and nurture confident self-learners.
With a passion for unlocking true potential, each program is individually tailored to be at just the right level for the student. Moreover, Kumon encourage self-learning through extensive resources like guides and worksheets. For a tested and proven tuition method look to Kumon.
TH shared this great review on Google, “My 12 year old son does Maths at this centre, and we’re extremely happy with the program. In his first 12 months he went from being unusually weak at Maths to being among the strongest students in his school class.”
Your experience with tutors in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the tutors listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.