HEALTH authorities in Canberra say the meal which contained death cap mushrooms that killed two people was prepared in a commercial kitchen.
The ACT Health Directorate says the food was for a private meal and no food containing the poisonous mushrooms was given to any member of the public.
In a statement, the authority said the premises in Canberra have been inspected and there is no risk of exposure to the public.
Weekly NewsletterEvery Thursday afternoon, we package up the most-read and trending RiotACT stories of the past seven days and deliver straight to your inbox..
This being ACT Health we are, of course, not trusted with the information as to which kitchen was involved.
Friends will tell you I’ve never been keen on mushrooms (indeed have been accused of not being a funghi *boom tish*), but I’d be wary of the straw mushrooms from Canberra’s more “authentic” Chinese restaurants myself in future.
UPDATE: The Australian reports that it appears to have been the Chinese Bistro at the Harmonie Club.
LUI Jun was a hardworking 38-year-old Chinese chef who made a fatal error of mistaking the toxic “death cap” mushrooms for a common edible variety used in Chinese cooking.
For a year Mr Lui had worked at the Chinese bistro at Narrabundah’s Harmonie German Club, serving food to Canberra’s Chinese community and others who regularly attended the inner-south restaurant for his cooking.
Each week he would send his pay cheque back to his wife, 11-year-old daughter and a seven-year-old son he supported in China’s Hunan Province.
It was at this bistro where he met the other victim of the accidental New Year’s Eve poisoning — Tsou Hsiang, 52, who had also left family behind in China to work in Canberra as a casual kitchen hand.