Skip to content Skip to main navigation

News

Canberra’s most creative
residential property specialists

Firefighters remind Canberrans smoke alarm save lives after rescuing person from house fire

Lachlan Roberts 19 October 2018

A potentially catastrophic incident was avoided thanks to a working smoke alarm and one neighbour’s quick thinking on Thursday afternoon (18 October).

Around 4 pm, firefighters responded to an emergency triple zero call from a neighbour reporting that a smoke alarm had activated in the house next door in Chapman.

Firefighters arrived on scene to find heavy smoke coming from the house. Looking through the windows, the crew identified a person unconscious on the floor and immediately forced entry.

Paramedics assessed and treated the patient on the scene before transporting them to Canberra Hospital in a stable condition.

“We quickly contained the fire to the point of origin in the kitchen, and had it extinguished within minutes,” ACT Fire & Rescue South Commander Danny Brighenti said.

“If the smoke alarm had not activated – there would have been a significant delay in alerting emergency services, dramatically increasing the risk of catastrophic consequences.

“This incident is a timely reminder that working smoke alarms save lives.”


What’s Your opinion?


Please login to post your comments, or connect with

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Top
Copyright © 2019 Region Group Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.
the-riotact.com | aboutregional.com.au | b2bmagazine.com.au | thisiscanberra.com

Search across the site