How drunk can you get while driving a bus?

johnboy 30 April 2009 49

One really wonders what sort of lifestyle choices lead to the behaviour described today by the police:

A 54-year-old ACTION bus driver will be summonsed to court after he was identified allegedly driving a bus whilst twelve times over the legal limit this afternoon (April 30).

ACT Policing officers were called to Kotara Crescent, Narrabundah about 3.00pm after receiving a request for assistance. Police located the bus on the side of the road and the driver was transported to the Woden Police Station, where he recorded an alcohol reading of 0.256, more than 12 times the legal limit for a bus driver in the ACT.

He will be summonsed to appear in the ACT Magistrates Court on July 16.

No passengers were on the bus at the time of the incident.

Bear in mind that while TWELVE TIMES OVER THE LIMIT makes for a sensational headline the driver was *only* five times over the limit which applies to most drivers on the road.

49 Responses to How drunk can you get while driving a bus?
Mr Evil Mr Evil 3:01 pm 01 May 09

Rebos said :

Wasn’t John Hargreaves but Kate Carnell in drag. Except this time got too drunk to run away in time before the “old bill” showed up.

As if Kate Carnell would drink and drive! 😉

Blast Tyrant Blast Tyrant 2:57 pm 01 May 09

Apart from the fact that he has endangered many innocent lives, I admire this guys balls.

Rebos Rebos 2:39 pm 01 May 09

G-Fresh G-Fresh 1:57 pm 01 May 09

Mr Evil said :

What I’d like to know is, what the hell was John Hargreaves doing driving an ACTION bus anyway????

Hitching a ride down to the new gaol. All part of “The New Regime” you see

frontrow frontrow 1:10 pm 01 May 09

Most people will be somewhere near .02 after a single standard drink so it seems a reasonable limit to imply no drinking at all. A strictly zero limit is too problematic beacause so many unexpected things can give you a small positive reading:

Mr Evil Mr Evil 1:10 pm 01 May 09

Hercsie Hercsie 1:03 pm 01 May 09

Not surprising really.

In the last 5 months I’ve seen ACTION drivers:

*wearing ipod earphones (drown out annoying sirens and complaining customers)
*speeding on Commonwealth Ave
*texting while carrying passengers on Mouat st towards Ginninderra drive
*running red lights

peterh peterh 12:18 pm 01 May 09

johnboy said :

You want to bar them from using cough syrup?

plenty of non alcohol cough medicine out there, jb. benadryl for one.

TP 3000 TP 3000 11:58 am 01 May 09

G-Fresh said :

Yes but was the bus on schedule?

From what I’ve read he wasn’t even meant to on the road.

G-Fresh G-Fresh 10:15 am 01 May 09

Yes but was the bus on schedule?

johnboy johnboy 10:13 am 01 May 09

You want to bar them from using cough syrup?

peterh peterh 10:03 am 01 May 09

perhaps – just putting it out there, bus drivers should have a zero alcohol level when operating several tons of vehicle? what would happen if a kid / adult / senior had stepped out in front of him on a pedestrian crossing? would he have been able to stop, with his impaired judgement?

Tooks Tooks 9:25 am 01 May 09

I think you’ll find that wasn’t a serious comment, dvaey.

dvaey dvaey 9:01 am 01 May 09

Postalgeek said :

A bus is equivalent to twelve cars in its capacity to carry passengers, so fair enough that the driver of a bus is twelve times over the legal limit.

So following that logic, does that mean a motorcycle rider should have a limit of 0.1 or so? After all, it carries a fraction of the passengers and is fraction of the size? Either .05 is safe, or .02 is safe. If you lose control above .02 then make the law .02, dont toss and turn and umm and ahh about it. Like talking on a mobile is illegal, whether youre a car driver, a bus driver, or any other driver for that matter.

Thumper Thumper 8:11 am 01 May 09

Oh god, does this mean we’ll get another anti alcohol spiel from Nicola Roxon?

Weaselburger Weaselburger 7:40 am 01 May 09

I wonder if he’s gonna apply for a workers licence!!!

Cameron Cameron 11:55 pm 30 Apr 09

Thumper said :

Faaaaaark!

you serious?

Did you confront him? Geez, i would have.

Was too shocked. Was on the bus for all of a minute while he did it. I just got to my stop, got the hell off, and called ACTION the next day.

Cameron said :

I do believe I know (not in the biblical sense) the bus driver you write about. Oops.

Yeah? Must be a bit of a clown.

Spam Box Spam Box 11:35 pm 30 Apr 09

I recall many a time I’d catch a ride with the regular tanker driver for BP Kingston, Phillip etc.

Nice guy, always quick with a ride and a spliff

Honestly, you worry too much 😉

bloodnut bloodnut 11:25 pm 30 Apr 09

apologies for the double post – i will endeavour to read original articles properly in the future.

bloodnut bloodnut 11:21 pm 30 Apr 09

I know that some classes of vehicles require limits lower than 0.05.

I think the legal limit is different (lower) for buses.

Not that it makes it any better – just less sensational.

If he had swine flu they’d be printing gold nuggets.

I can’t even stand to catch an ACTION Bus let alone spend my day in one.

I’d drink too most likely.