Skip to content Skip to main navigation


Skilled legal advice with
accessible & personal attention

Men on top of the Belconnen Remand Centre

By Echidna - 30 January 2009 114

[First filed: January 30, 2009 @ 08:37]

I don’t know if any others saw this, but as per the news there are a couple of “prisioners” on top of the BRC. As I was driving past to get to work I saw them: dressed in nothing but Khaki shorts.

I wonder whether they had the foresight at 4am to take water up there. Otherwise, with today’s predicted temps they’ll come down pretty darn soon!

UPDATE: The ABC have some detail online.

ANOTHER UPDATE: The Canberra Times is being uncharacteristically nimble and brings word that the men are protesting the conditions, particularly the lack of air conditioning. One can only hope John Hargreaves gets down there himself to tell them how wrong they are.

FURTHER UPDATE: The CT now has word that they’ve come down. The Daily Telegraph is also across it.

Street View gives a pretty good look at the facility:

View Larger Map

ONE MORE UPDATE FOR THE ROAD: Jeremy Hanson for the Liberals is having a swing at the issue and does a good job compile recent debacles:

    “Just recently we had six corrections officers injured in a violent incident involving about nine prisoners, we had a tunnel that was only discovered by chance late last year and now we have prisoners breaking out and causing a disturbance on the roof for several hours. Meanwhile, the new prison that the government opened with great fanfare on 11 September 2008 during the election campaign remains empty,” Jeremy Hanson said.

    “I note that the two previous incidents were only made public after embarrassing tip-offs to the media and this latest incident has been so public in comparison that the Government has been forced to be open and frank about it. It raises serious questions as to what else has occurred at the BRC that this Government has not been prepared to divulge.

What’s Your opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
114 Responses to
Men on top of the Belconnen Remand Centre
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
rose1 12:08 am 13 Feb 09

They weren’t the only one’s suffering from the heat, maybe the could go and fight fires in Victoria, give a thought for those poor suffering people down there

tylersmayhem 11:15 am 03 Feb 09

Poor darlings! 🙁

p1 10:06 am 03 Feb 09

…and now the ABC are reporting that they will be putting some of the over crowded cons (and alleged cons) into Quamby. I imagine it will bring back some memories of their teenage years for some of them.

p1 9:02 pm 02 Feb 09

ABC Reports that they have been charged with attempting to escape. So I guess the police didn’t believe it was all for the purposes of protesting.

tylersmayhem 8:44 am 02 Feb 09

How about STOP…BREAKING…THE…F**KING…LAW…YOU…LOSERS! Stay at home, pay for your own aircon if you can bring yourself to not stealing one, and then you can stop winging. F**king wasters!

sunshine 6:28 pm 31 Jan 09

Tooks said :

sunshine said :

Quamby is empty now – why not move them over to there until the prison is open?

Because Quamby had enough trouble keeping teenagers from escaping, let alone adults.

true – but if they can’t keep them in brc – what’s the difference. ahh i know – no police station next door to discover the many escape artists

cranky 6:15 pm 31 Jan 09

Sonic, acting Minister Not Responsible, was at pains on teev last night to point out he was not of course responsible, and that the fault lay with the totally incompetent security system installers at the Hume Hilton.

Sheesh. Does the buck ever stop?

vg 5:53 pm 31 Jan 09

johnboy said :

Also people bear in mind this is a remand centre. People there have not yet been convicted.

Not yet, but only for the crimes currently charged. Methinks with the offences they have been charged with wouldn’t ordinarily warrant being remanded in custody, unless you’ve done it quite a few times before.

Dumb and Dumber just cocked up their escape plans is all

Tooks 5:30 pm 31 Jan 09

sunshine said :

Quamby is empty now – why not move them over to there until the prison is open?

Because Quamby had enough trouble keeping teenagers from escaping, let alone adults.

sunshine 5:23 pm 31 Jan 09

Quamby is empty now – why not move them over to there until the prison is open?

Pommy bastard 11:46 am 31 Jan 09

Police in South Australia reported a surge in sudden deaths, with 19 people dying on Friday in the state capital Adelaide, 14 of whom were elderly.

Now remind me again why I should give a flying fork about two crims who deliberatly broke out onto a swealtering roof?

I think another couple of months added to their sentences should suffice.

Gobbo 11:07 am 31 Jan 09

More’s the pity.

The Australian is reporting at least 19 heat-related deaths in South Australia.

Granny 10:49 am 31 Jan 09

Well, at the end of the day it won’t be up to you.

farnarkler 9:47 am 31 Jan 09

Cheaper to give them all day cinema tickets and free transport to and from their closest cinema.


Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Copyright © 2018 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | |

Search across the site