Yesterday my wife, a friend and myself decided to have lunch together, so we headed off to [a cafe] in Dickson. All 3 of us decided on the chicken caesar. We have had this many times before at [the cafe] with no issues, however this time my wife who just consumed the majority of her salad notice that she had some extras.
Two nice juicy plump maggots were glaring up her from the salad. They seemed most upset at being disturbed.
We were all quite shocked and my wife quickly took her dish back to the counter while our friend and I examined our salads for unwanted critters. The staff were very apathetic and only offered her another meal, umm no thanks. They certainly didn’t seemed very shocked. They then offered a rather poor casual apology and reluctantly gave my wife a refund.
Nothing for the other two of us that had the same dish. We all left rather shocked and fortunately none of us got sick. Today I decided to phone Health Protection Services to report the incident and I got a few handy tips if happens to you.
1. Get a photo of the object in the dish. I didn’t think of this until after my wife had already returned it.
2. Alert the staff but do not hand over the evidence. The person from ACT Health said, next time keep the maggots as they will seize them and determine exactly what they are.