24 August 2022

'She's had about 700 drinks, bro': Spectator sues Kyrgios for 'reckless' Wimbledon allegation

| Claire Fenwicke
Join the conversation
2
Nick Kyrgios

Nick Kyrgios is facing defamation proceedings over comments he made during the 2022 Wimbledon final. Image: Screenshot.

Nick Kyrgios is facing a second legal battle, with a woman he accused of having “700 drinks” at the Wimbledon final suing the tennis star.

Leading British defamation firm Brett Wilson LLP issued a statement which said it had been instructed to bring defamation proceedings against Kyrgios over “allegations he made against spectator Anna Palus”.

During the game, Kyrgios accused Ms Palus of distracting him while he was serving, and demanded the chair umpire “kick her out”.

“Why is she still here? She’s drunk out of her mind in the first row, speaking to me in the middle of the game,” he said at the time.

“[She’s] the one who looks like she’s had about 700 drinks, bro.”

Ms Palus issued a statement last night (Tuesday, 23 August) stating Kyrgios had made a “reckless and entirely baseless” allegation against her.

“Not only did this cause considerable harm on the day, resulting in my temporary removal from the arena, but Mr Kyrgios’s false allegation was broadcast to, and read by, millions around the world, causing me and my family very substantial damage and distress,” she said.

Ms Palus said while she was “not litigious” she concluded she had “no alternative” but to sue Kyrgios in order to clear her name.

“The need to obtain vindication, and to prevent repetition of the allegation, are the only reasons for taking legal action,” she said.

“Any damages recovered will be donated to charity.”

READ ALSO Sports coach allegedly had ‘almost obsessive interest’ in girl he was grooming

Ms Palus said she hoped Kyrgios would “reflect” on the harm his comments caused both herself and her family, and that he would offer a “prompt resolution” on the matter.

“However, if he is unwilling to do this, I am committed to obtaining vindication in the High Court,” she said.

The legal proceedings come just hours after Kyrgios’ alleged assault case was heard for the first time in the ACT Magistrates Court.

The 27-year-old has been issued a charge of common assault over an alleged incident in January 2021. The matter is next scheduled for 4 October.

Kyrgios recently bowed out of the men’s doubles in the Cincinnati Masters on 19 August.

He’s next expected to play in the US Open, which begins 29 August.

Join the conversation

2
All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
Latest

Well I do hope that Ms Palus is successful.

I also have also felt the need “”“The need to obtain vindication, and to prevent repetition of the allegation, are the only reasons for taking legal action,” she said.

For over 35 odd years I have been continually verbally assaulted by certain peoples. And it still continues.
Especially when the glorious victorious PIES, humiliated the blooze by 1 point.

I wonder if leading British defamation firm Brett Wilson LLP have a office in this country.?
I guess they’d tell me to get on me bike as unfortunately none of my assaulters are multi millionaires.

limestonecowboy3:16 pm 24 Aug 22

This time I’m for Kyrios, drunken and noisy spectators disrupting professional tennis players, particularly at Wimbledon is not on. A player has every right to complain if the behaviour is interfering with their work. A lot of money rides on their performance.

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.