There’s no denying that plastering is a difficult job to do yourself. No matter how handy you think you are, DIY plastering is messy, complicated and less likely to result in a high-quality finish.
That’s why it’s worth leaving plastering to the professionals. A skilled plasterer knows all the tricks of the trade to get your walls smooth, straight and ready for painting.
Read on to discover what to look for in a plasterer, and where to find a good one in Canberra.
What makes a great plasterer?
The difference between excellent and shoddy plastering work may be obvious even to the untrained eye. But the reality is that it’s often more challenging for a layperson to determine which plasterer is better than another.
Based on reader feedback, here are the five questions we recommend asking before engaging a plasterer:
- What type of plastering do you specialise in? Like other trades, plasterers may be more experienced in a particular type of plaster, or certain plastering tasks (i.e. skimming or rendering). For the best results, your plasterer should specialise in the type of plastering work you need – whether that’s repairs, renovations, removing archways, soundproofing or fixing sagging ceilings.
- How will you prepare for the project? Ask your plasterer how they plan to prepare their work surfaces. There are many ways to prepare walls or ceilings before plastering begins, and cutting corners will affect both the end result and its longevity.
- Tell me about your plastering experience? Plastering is as much a craft as it is a trade, and it’s a skill usually honed over many years. For this reason, the best plasterers tend to have several years of experience as opposed to just having a plasterer licence.
- How long will the work take to complete? Plastering isn’t always a quick job, and multiple visits may be required. A skilled plasterer will be honest, transparent and work as efficiently as possible to minimise disruption to you.
- What do other customers say about your work? Your plasterer should have a proven track record and extensive portfolio of successful projects. Don’t be afraid to ask for testimonials from previous clients, or for photos of their work.
The top plasterers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
When it comes to trust, professionalism, experience and results, readers say it’s difficult to go past Canberra Painting Company for plastering. A family business that’s been in Canberra for over 15 years, Canberra Painting Company is trusted by homeowners as well as major builders for new home builds and developments.
Canberra Painting Company’s staff are fully licenced and insured. Its teams take on plastering jobs of all sizes for existing homes, new homes, commercial premises and industrial buildings.
You won’t be left waiting either. Canberra Painting Company prides itself on a fast turn-around, offering quotes within 24 hours and a start date in as little as 7 days. And while plastering is an infamously messy job, Canberra Painting Company keeps things clean by providing full professional cleaning before every job is completed.
Andrew Hayes and the team at Pro Plaster Works have serviced Canberra and surrounds since 1992. In that time, its passionate team has remained committed to honest and reliable service.
Pro Plaster Works specialises in commercial shops, office fit-outs, sagged ceilings, garage conversions, renovations, repairs, soundproofing, and more. In other words, its comprehensive plastering services tick all the boxes.
Here’s what one satisfied customer had to say on Facebook: “Hazy and the team completed the plaster work on my large home over 18 years ago. Still not a single ‘sagged’ ceiling and the walls remain crisp and clean. Thanks again for all the additions over the years.” – Chop.
It can be frustrating to contact a plasterer only to discover that your job is too big or small for them to complete. The good news is that this doesn’t happen when working with The Budget Plasterer, as it specialises in jobs of all sizes.
The Budget Plasterer has provided professional plastering services around Canberra for more than two decades. Its experienced team knows how to get great results without blowing the budget, and prides itself on transparency. You’ll know exactly what work will be completed, and why.
“Great work and very reliable. Rene arrived exactly when he said he would. When doing the quote he communicated exactly what he would do and what we needed to do to make his work possible (we had some electrical heaters removed which left some pretty large holes). Quality of the work is fantastic. We could not be happier.” – Edward, via Google Reviews.
With a consistent 5-star rating on Google, Canberra Plasterers is one of the region’s top plastering companies for a reason.
Specialising in plastering, repairs, cornice and home repairs, the team at Canberra Plasterers provides quality workmanship and professional service. Check out their work on Facebook and see for yourself what makes Canberra Plasterers such a popular choice.
Customer Carly had this to say about her experience with Canberra Plasterers’: “Absolutely cracking job done by Paul and his team! We absolutely love the plastering you did! Professional job and good bloke!”
Who did you pick?
Thanks to RiotACT readers for providing insightful feedback on the best Canberra Plasterers.
If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Please comment below detailing your experience with Canberra Plasterers. Who would you recommend? Who would you use again? Who would you steer clear of?