The most memorable part of an event is often food. Whether you’re hosting a massive sit-down meal or an intimate cocktail and canape event, you’ll want a fantastic catering company dishing up delicious produce.
Selecting a professional, experienced and imaginative catering service can make planning and managing your event much easier. Top-notch catering services will support you on every level.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a catering service company, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great catering service?
Many types and styles of catering service companies operate in Canberra so you have plenty of choice. With so much riding on your decision, you want to be 100 per cent sure you’ve picked the best caterer for your style of event and budget.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a catering service.
- Delicious food. Food is an important part of an event, so you’ll want to select a catering service that creates dishes that look as amazing as they taste, whether canapes or large buffets.
- Experience. Search for a catering company with the experience to enhance your event. You’ll want a company that serves on time so your event isn’t disrupted or put behind schedule.
- Professional and polite. If you need caterers to serve food and drink to guests, check that wait staff are professional, polite and know what they’re doing. This make guests feel important and well taken care of.
- Imaginative and flexible. Often with events, food is ‘themed’ to enhance the overall experience. You’ll need a caterer who has imagination and flair in designing menus. You’ll may well need one who can also deal with food allergies or intolerances.
- Proactive with advice. Stuck trying to figure out how much food and drink to serve per guest? Many variables go into deciding, including if the food is hot or cold and where and when the event is. A seasoned caterer will advise on quantities, saving you from ordering too much. They’ll also advise you on wine and beverage matching.
The best catering services in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Topgun Catering provides high-quality, boutique catering to the Canberra market. With a passion for food, Topgun Catering provides flexible service and is always willing to create personalised menus to suite any need, dietary requirement or occasion, Catering is available for morning teas, lunches, cocktail parties and seated fine-dining events for up to 1,000 guests.
On Google, Raltisa Dimitrova wrote, “Very good quality of food at a very good price. The food always comes very well presented.”
Temporada, the award-winning casual restaurant and bar in the CBD, first launched its catering service back in November 2020, allowing them to take their fresh and seasonal menu beyond their restaurant doors. Whether you’ve got a large corporate event or just a small dinner with some friends, Tempo Catering can tailor their services to suit your needs and help create a unique experience for you at home, at the office, or in a function space. There’s no set menu with Tempo Catering – you can choose what you’re getting from the restaurant menu!
Google reviewer Gemma Wykes recently ate at Temporada, and left the following review, “An amazing culinary experience. Each course was beautifully prepared and presented. The variety and purity of flavours in each dish was exceptional.”
Hudsons Catering provides full catering services to suit every occasions and budget. Fresh produce is prepared daily for a quality catering experience. Menus are adapted as required, including for dietary needs. Hudsons Catering caters for intimate gatherings, weddings, celebrations of life and other occasions.
On Facebook, Kylie Williams wrote, “The Mother’s Day High Tea at Albert Hall was so impressive. Our family had such a great time dancing and being entertained. The food was amazing!”
An established, professional hospitality service, Swirl Catering creates delicious, contemporary and innovative food and delivers quality, caring service. With more than a dozen menus to choose from, Swirl Catering pleases guests at government, corporate and private events and occasions. The team provides quotes promptly.
As Sally Troy wrote on Google, “I could not recommend Swirl Catering more highly – they should have 6 stars. The food was lovely and the staff were extraordinarily pleasant to deal with …”
With more than 20 years in the catering industry, Kitchen Witchery Catering produces visually interesting food that tastes great, whether for morning teas, buffets, corporate events or major celebrations. The company services Canberra and region and provides recommendations on dietary requirements.
Katrina Summerell wrote on Google, “Kitchen Witchery is a company I have been using for personal and work catering for over three years now and they have never disappointed!”
If you’re looking for more information on catering and events in Canberra, you might like our articles on the best function venues, best event planners, best wedding venues and best florists Canberra has to offer.
Your experience with catering services in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the catering companies listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.