From Thomas Edison’s light bulb moment in the late 1800’s nothing has ever been the same. More than simply providing luminescence, artificial light has completely transformed the way we live. Yet despite such remarkable beginnings, few of us ever really give lighting that much thought.
Whether you are sprucing up a space, renovating, or building anew; being consumed with big-picture items happens easily. Yet, it is often the finer details like lighting that make or break a room. Indeed, few things influence the visual appeal and aesthetic feel as much as lighting.
Great lighting plans combine the most functional and flexible solutions to optimise the illumination of space. From lifting an entire home’s curb side appeal through to lighting the smallest closet there is plenty to consider.
With so much at stake the risk of being overwhelmed is real. There are various lighting categories, fixtures, usage cases, colour temperatures, bulbs, and switches to think about. Energy efficiency, automation, and smart solutions further complicate things.
If you are contemplating a lighting solution for you space, you have come to the right place. We have hunted high and low to find the best lighting store experts that Canberra has to offer.
What makes a great lighting store?
Great lighting stores offer more than beautiful products. Their expertise can help transform the mood of your space with a simple flick of the switch. Here are some qualities we think separates the best lighting stores from the rest:
- Function meets style. When it comes to lighting, finding a blend of both function and style is important. While evaluating the style of a light can be done in the blink of an eye, understanding it’s performance harder. Often, retailers squeeze hundreds of powered lights into their displays, making it almost impossible to assess the effectiveness of each. The best lighting stores make life much easier, through streamlining their product ranges and displays. Moreover, staff are equipped with product expertise, knowing which products are best suited to solving specific lighting needs.
- Curated product range. In the plentiful world of lighting, product options really are endless. From entry level basics through to high-end designer pieces there is a product to suit every taste and budget. Rather than being everything to everyone, the best lighting stores have carved a niche in the market. They have assessed client need and subsequently curated a product range accordingly.
- Design expertise. There is much more to lighting than simply light. Clever lighting relies on the interplay of both light and shade to illuminate and set the mood. Achieving this can be tricky, particularly when any given space can perform a multitude of functions. Some areas require a blend of task and ambient lighting, others require strong illumination and drama, and so on. The best lighting stores offer their expertise to clients in the form of lighting consultations. They apply their design expertise to create lighting plans with products to suit.
- Super service. Although it can hard to define, service is a core attribute that sets great lighting stores apart from the rest. From experienced staff, ease of ordering, and seamless delivery it all counts. Great light stores will also have a series of industry contacts to help translate your lighting vision. This may include relationships with recommended electricians, builders, or interior designers. Moreover, consider lead times as these play a key role in custom or international orders. To assess, conduct a little research as this a great way to understand the service experienced by others.
- Quality. As with any new product purchase, quality plays a big role in the final decision. While price is a good indicator of quality, it isn’t always the case. Look for products well constructed products and sturdy materials befitting of their need. For example, outdoor lights should tolerate the weather and be made of stainless, brass, copper, or coated aluminium. Look for lighting stores that stock quality products with decent warranty periods.
The best lighting stores in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
As one of the oldest and most established lighting providers in the nearby Riverina region, The Light Company have worked with countless clients to achieve their interior vision. As specialist suppliers they stock an extensive range of lighting solutions catering to a multitude of styles and budgets.
Their Wagga based showroom features a range of lights in all their glory. From hard working task-based products to ambient illumination and statement pieces for drama they have it covered. From feature table and floor lamps, wall or ceiling fixtures, and pendants of all sizes The Light Company has it covered.
For added convenience, the team keep a range of ancillary products at hand including energy saving globes through to fixtures, fans and more. Their team of friendly and experienced staff are readily at hand to help coordinate client needs for a single space through to an entire house.
For the ultimate experience pop into their showroom or feel free to utilise their handy online shopping platform. For expert advice to ensure your next projects success, look to The Light Company.
As Victoria Blatch states on Google, “Possibly the best lighting service in Wagga.”
Lumifi is local specialist lighting, audio-visual, and integration retailer. What sets them apart is their believe that both light and shade play an integral role in effective lighting design. Their passionate team have built a reputation for service excellence and delivery of creative solutions.
Their Fyshwick showroom is home to a wide range of specialist lighting products, from wall, downlights, and exterior lights through to commercial grade solutions. For in-depth product knowledge, lighting design expertise, and some helpful advice look to Lumifi.
Siddhartha Chakrabarti had this to say on Google, “We received fantastic value for money from Lumifi, and great service from someone who actually has a passion for his products. I would happily go back there for my lightning and audio needs. Thanks!”
As one of the regions newest designer furniture and lighting stores, Miko Designs have built a name for sourcing some of the finest Australian wares in the market. Founded by Canberra locals, Stuart Finlayson and Stephanie McKenzie, Miko Designs stocks a selective range of high-end lighting solutions with a focus on quality design.
Home to statement pendants, handmade wall lights, and layered desk and floor lights, their Fyshwick showroom is worth a visit. Should extra help be needed, Miko Designs also offers a lighting consultation service.
Grace Ephraums shared this sentiment on Google, “Outstanding service…. As a designer in Canberra, we rely on Stu a lot and we can always count on quality service, pricing, and communication. Highly recommend supporting this fantastic local business.”
From humble beginnings in 1978, Cirillo Lighting and Ceramics have grown to become a leading retail and wholesale supplier of lighting, tiles, bathroom ware and kitchen appliances. They pride themselves on being the destination of choice for something unique and are passionate about beautiful design.
Cirillo Lighting and Ceramics stock a range of interior and exterior solutions from leading international manufacturers. From pendants and architectural lights through to table and floor lights, their quality and choice is hard to beat.
Ravi Sethi had this to say on Google, “Best place in Capital for tiles, lights and much more for your brand-new house.”
With a legacy that spans over twenty-five years, Brindabella Lighting have grown to become an Australia-wide importer and distributer for a range of European lighting brands. Home to the likes of Exenia, Zavaluce, Luceplan, Linea, Stilnovo Lombardo, and Light Point, they are the place to visit for designer lighting.
Renowned for their range of sculptural and architectural lighting, the feature a comprehensive range of interior and exterior solutions. Moreover, their experienced team are available to assist in the design of lighting plans.
Peter Townley shared his experience on Google, “Best lighting in Australia…. they have an excellent range of gorgeous lights from Europe. Really spectacular.”
Australian-owned Project Lighting was locally founded fifty years ago to support the region’s growing lighting markets. Today, they are a lighting retailer and electrical wholesaler who strive to provide total service lighting solutions.
From discussing plans, providing advice on practical solutions, and finding the most functional and attractive product options they cater to both residential and commercial client alike. With stores conveniently located in Philip, Belconnen, and Queanbeyan, Project Lighting is a must-see destination for your lighting needs.
Mick H shared this review on Google, “After visiting multiple lighting shops around Canberra it was a pleasure to end up at Project Lighting in Phillip. The staff were exceptional!”
To furnish your space see our articles on the best furniture stores and the best designer furniture stores. And, for a help hand with your interior look at our pick of Canberra’s best interior designers.
Your experience with lighting stores in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the lighting stores listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main lighting types?
Aside from natural light sources, our spaces are illuminated by three core artificial light sources: ambient, task, and accent lighting. Ambient lighting provides uniform illumination for a given space. Next, as the name suggests task lighting supports the completion of certain activities by brightening a particular area. Finally, accent lighting is designed to highlight certain regions for dramatic flair.
What is colour temperature?
Colour temperature is a means by which to describe light appearance. Measured in degrees of Kelvin (K) ranging from warmest at 1,000 to coolest at 10,000. Most residential applications sit between 1,000 to 6,500K. Generally, warm white light is considered most suitable for living and bedroom areas at around 2,7000K. Cool neutral white light works well for tasks in areas like kitchens and garages at around 5,000K. Bright daylight at around 6,500K is sometimes used in bathrooms and laundries.
What type of light bulbs are the most energy efficient?
Light emitting diodes or LEDs, are commonly accepted as the most energy efficient light bulb, using up to 95% less energy and lasting up to 25 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. In addition to LED bulbs, application of lighting controls like dimmers, sensors, and timers can also help to improve efficiency.
What is smart lighting?
Smart lighting is a term that represents a series of solutions which allow light control remotely. These solutions often come in the form of Wi-Fi enabled smart globes or plugs and bridges. Another solution is complete connectivity, which integrates automation of lights along with other home features like temperature and security. Do bear in mind that some installation will need to be undertaken by a licensed electrician, so it’s work consulting the experts for some advice.
Can all light fixtures be dimmable?
Dimmers effectively control brightness by reducing voltage supplied to a light. Most traditional incandescent fixtures can work with a standard dimmer switch. Newer options like LED’s and compact fluorescents can also be dimmed, however may require specific bulbs or switches. For further details consult your local light retailer.