Found yourself in a lock-out emergency in Manuka? Need to re-key some locks in Bruce, or plan an entire security system for a newly built home in Taylor?
When it comes to selecting a locksmith in Canberra, chances are you will want the best that your money can buy. After all, one’s home is one’s castle; and this old adage holds true for all property great and small.
For many, good security is a basic need going well beyond a front door deadlock. The task of selecting, installing, and maintaining safes or locks is best placed with the professionals. This is where an experienced, skilled, and dependable locksmith comes into play.
Whether your locksmithing needs are for residential or commercial; finding the right locally licenced technician, who is ethical and affordable can be a mission.
Fortunately, we have handpicked the best Canberra locksmiths so read on below to find one that suits you!
What makes a great locksmith?
Great locksmiths are equipped to handle any locksmithing need; available around the clock, and efficiently execute their work with skilled finesse.
When searching for a locksmith in Canberra we suggest considering the following:
- Qualified, licenced and insured. When seeking a locksmith trade qualifications and appropriate licencing should be at the top of your list. The best locksmiths are highly skilled completing years of formal training on the craft. Locksmith operators in Canberra also require a state government issued security licence and respective police checks in order to do business. Finally, ensure they are professionally insured.
- Industry accreditation. A great way to assess your shortlisted locksmiths is check on their industry accreditation. The Master Locksmiths Association Australia is the core industry body; and membership indicates that your trade is not only qualified, licenced and insured – but also adheres to strict ethical standards governing practise.
- Quality workmanship. While selecting an appropriate locksmith seek one that delivers not only impeccable workmanship, but one that also uses high quality products and fittings. Loosely fitted, second-rate locks defeat the purpose of having them there in the first place. Great locksmiths will offer guarantees on not only their products, but also their work.
- Professional and ethical. The best locksmiths conduct their business as professionally and expertly as the craft itself. With integrity in the security industry being so vital, seek a locksmith with glowing past customer reviews that point to their approach and demeanour. Not only does a level head defuse potentially stressful lockout situations; high ethical standards ensures peace of mind over the security of oneself – and one’s belongings.
- Agile service delivery. Regardless of whether your locksmithing needs are planned or based on an emergency seek one that has a fantastic track record in punctuality, and prompt execution.
Important essentials to check before engaging a locksmith
To ensure quality and professionalism a couple of minutes spent checking the following will help to give you peace of mind; and ensure you avoid a dodgy locksmith.
- Ensure the locksmith runs a registered business through the Australian Business Registration website.
- Confirm that the locksmith holds a Security Employee licence on the Access Canberra website.
- Check that the locksmith is professionally insured with public liability insurance. For larger jobs it wouldn’t hurt to request of proof of this before commencement.
- Enquire as to whether they are members of the Master Locksmiths Association Australia.
The best locksmiths in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
ACT Mobile Locksmith provides fast and reliable service Canberra wide.
Purely mobile, this business is a member of Master Locksmiths and holds a Canberra Master Security licence, ensuring a professional guarantee with all work. The team operates from a fully equipped mobile workshop, which means low overheads and better prices.
ACT Mobile Locksmiths carries a complete range of locking hardware to get most jobs, large and small, done on the spot. Services include key cutting, lock installations, lock service and repair, lock re-keying, lock opening and master key systems. The business is also expert in planning and installing master key systems.
A locally owned family business, ACT Mobile Locksmiths was established in 2020 by Brandon Hart, who has over a decade of experience providing locksmithing services to thousands of clients.
Free, no-obligation quotes are available.
As Thomas Reaston wrote on Google, “Highly professional and did all work quoted to a very high standard. Would definitely recommend for any locksmith jobs.”
Canberra Safecrackers is a small family business offering a number of services, ranging from opening and repairing safes, re-keying houses, emergency lockouts and more. The team at Canberra Safecrackers is fully insured, licensed and industry qualified. They provide first-rate services at a competitive price.
Adam Tutalo writes on Google, “Chris is an absolute master of his trade and a true gentleman. I contacted him over the weekend to open a safe that hadn’t been opened in at least 18 years, without the combination. He arrived when he said he would… embraced the challenge and tirelessly went to work for hours only pausing to provide an update on his progress.”
Mobile 24-hour family owned business servicing Canberra, Queanbeyan, Tuggeranong and the surrounding suburbs. They have more than 20 years’ experience and can help with residential, commercial or auto locks.
Anne Flynn wrote on Facebook, “Thank you Sean for the amazing work you did with fixing our doors! We highly value your professionalism, efficiency, and trustworthy nature. Highly recommended lock and door locksmiths service!”
Located in Wanniassa, they provide automotive, commercial and residential services, key-cutting for your home, car or restricted key systems, and also stock garage and car remotes. They also provide a 24-hour mobile service in case of an emergency.
As Sue Field wrote on Google, “First time use of an emergency locksmith & Paul was awesome! Prompt, polite & precise. Would definitely recommend.”
If you’re locked out of your home, work or car in Canberra, Local Locks are available 24/7 and Canberra-wide. Local Locks CBR have been serving the Canberra community for over 15 years and service locks in vehicles and residential and commercial premises. Whether you’re after lock re-keying, installation or repair, Local Locks is here to help.
As Emma Wallis writes on Google, “Highly recommend this service. Shane was lovely and helped me out in a bind, I had locked myself out of my car along the road and he stopped to help and had it open in a minute.”
If you’re looking for more specialised security services check out article on the best security companies and alarm monitoring systems in Canberra.
Your experience with locksmiths in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback on locksmiths in Canberra. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the locksmiths listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.