If you’re a homeowner tired of paying thousands of dollars a year for power, chances are you’ve thought about adding solar panels to your roof. With Canberra having so many sunny days a year, solar panels are a great way to reduce your energy bills and contribute to a brighter future. And while solar power has always been beneficial, today it’s more accessible and cost-effective than ever.
Solar panel installation isn’t a DIY activity so if you want to take advantage of solar power in your home or business, you’ll need a professional solar panel installer to get the job done.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a solar panel installer and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great solar panel installation company?
To protect your investment and get the most value from your solar panels, you’ll want to select a solar panel installer who has had proper training, has a great track record and is willing to provide advice on what suits your needs.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing solar panel installation company.
- Licensed experts. There’s more to solar panel installation than whacking up panels on a roof. The best solar panel installers are green energy experts and can guide you towards a purchase that works for your needs and budget. On top of this licensing is key, as both retailers and installers must hold a government issued electrical license. Also note that only an ACT licensed electrician can provide a certificate of compliance covering the system and electrical work. To check on the validity of your installers license visit Access Canberra’s list of licensed electricians.
- Friendly, respectful, and professional. As with any customer-facing job, the best in the solar panel installation business treat customers with respect and get the job done to professional standards. They respond to queries efficiently, send quotes promptly and keep you informed as work progresses.
- Value for money. While solar panels are an investment, you should expect to get value for money with the company you choose. It’s a good idea to get a few quotes from several installers before making a final decision.
- Warranty. Be sure to check that the solar installation company you choose provides written warranties for products and services. Read these warranties carefully.
- Understanding government incentives. Depending on where you live, and your income, you may be eligible for government rebates or other incentives that could reduce the cost of solar panel installation. A great solar panel installation company is up-to-date with the latest incentives and can advise on how you can take advantage of them. You can also research on government websites for offers.
Important essentials to check before engaging a solar installer
To ensure quality and professionalism a couple of minutes spent checking the following will help to give you peace of mind:
- Confirm the provider runs a registered business through the Australian Business Registration website.
- Ensure the provider holds an appropriate electrical license by checking the Access Canberra list of licensed electricians.
- Check that designers and installers are appropriately accredited by the peak industry body, the Clean Energy Council.
- Ensure all panels and inverters are approved by the Clean Energy Council.
- Verify the providers public liability insurance and level of cover.
- Be clear on contracted inclusions, terms, and conditions.
The best solar panel installers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With more than 10,000 systems installed in Canberra and surroundings, and with 10 years of experience in the market, SolarHub is the largest Canberra-based solar and energy storage installer.
Not only does SolarHub source its solar panel products from reputable manufacturers like LG and SolarEdge, but it also rigorously tests inverters and batteries at its Mitchell facility to ensure they hold up to temperature fluctuations. The company provides solutions for solar PV systems, energy storage and energy optimisation, only working with the best brands and technologies that SolarHub has itself tried and tested.
SolarHub has significant in-house workforce with electricians and apprentices / trade assistants for installation and maintenance, multiple engineers for system design and technical support, and a broad operations team to manage their large installation capacity.
SolarHub always takes the time required to ensure customers understand their needs and requirements and works alongside customers to design the best system for the available budget. Customers can request a quote online and a renewable energy consultant will be in touch.
As Janet Jenista wrote on Google, “Friendly, efficient and thorough! We wanted solar panels installed and to support a local business – SolarHub was the logical choice. We are grateful to the team for their helpful explanations in the planning stages and timely updates during the installation process. They made it super easy.”
Mondiaux is a Canberra-based clean energy provider that has installed rooftop solar panels for homeowners and businesses since 2011. It uses leading solar panel brands like Risen, Sunpower and Qcells, which have longer warranty periods and are said to perform better than other brands.
Having partnered with RSPCA in 2021, Mondiaux Solar are donating a portion of all sales to RSPCA.
When you choose Mondiaux to install your solar panels, you can expect high quality products, reasonable prices and work completed by certified installers to an exceptional standard. Every project is customised to suit the client’s unique energy needs, while Mondiaux’s comprehensive aftersales service ensures that you’re supported long after installation is complete.
In addition to solar panel installation, Mondiaux also specialises in battery storage systems and solar panel cleaning.
As jormahome wrote on RiotACT, “After 12 months of research i finally decided on MONDIAUX… Howard was excellent in his service before and after the installation. The installation was done in one day. Howard then spent time explaining and setting up my online account. He also has answered all my follow up questions.”
Established in 2007, Stag Electrical is a specialist in renewable energy providing a multitude of services to Canberra and surrounding districts. With offices in Canberra and Young, Stag Electrical has over 13 years of experience and has installed over 1.8 megawatts of clean energy in 2020 alone. They have slowly grown to the size they are today, refining their processes along the way to ensure a solid foundation to be here for years to come.
Stag Electrical helps families and businesses save money without the trust or reliability issues associated with the industry. They believe that educating customers to make the smartest decisions sets them apart from the competition.
Sam Friend, Managing Director, says that while they can cater to any request, they are heavily focused on high quality products that can deliver maximum return on investment to customers. Every system they design is done as if it would be installed in Sam’s own home.
As Murray G. wrote in a website testimonial, “From initial enquiry through to completion, I cannot fault the service, professionalism and quality of the work completed. I had a new solar system installed on my house in Canberra and the entire team were great to deal with and clearly know their trade.”
ECG Electrical is proudly Canberran solar and electrical company, offering stellar service that you can rely on. With fair and honest pricing, a passion for serving the Canberran community, guaranteeing professionalism and friendliness, and making sure your needs are met every step of the way, ECG works hard to ensure that each and every job is delivered to the highest quality of workmanship.
Although only officially established in January of 2019, the folks at ECG have over ten years’ experience, making them experts in their field. You can trust their teams of well-trained labourers, technicians, apprentices and tradespeople with the safe installation of high-quality solar panels in your home, and be rest assured that once the job is completed, ECG will ensure that everything is working soundly, and do a thorough handover so that you fully understand your new system.
If your home presents unique challenges to having solar panels installed, ECG’s qualified technicians and certified solar installers can offer you a personalised system. Taking into account panel selection, placements and any required upgrades to your existing system, ECG will work hard with you to ensure that your purchase is just right for your home.
As happy customer Tony Barber writes in this Google review of their experience with ECG, “Very happy with the install of our new solar system through ECG electrical. They were affordable, efficient & reliable and did a great job, well done boys. We will be referring ECG to others.”
Making the wise switch to solar power reduces electricity bills and lowers greenhouse emissions. Solargain has been assisting Australian families to make the switch to solar for more than 23 years. Through strong relationships with suppliers, Solargain secures the best deals for customers. Solargain has quality solar power packages to suit all Canberra homes.
As Mack Smith wrote on Google, “Fantastic – very professional. Great price for the solar PV system I chose. Highly recommended!”
If you’re looking for more information on saving money through energy efficiency measures at home or in your business, you might like our article on the best electricians and best insulation and double-glazing companies Canberra has to offer. As for electricity, check out our article on the best electricity providers in the region.
Your experience with solar panel installers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the solar panel installers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.