30 June 2021

Landscaper attacks brick wall during 'bizarre' hospital hammer rampage

| Albert McKnight
Join the conversation
3
Zachary John Froome

Zachary John Froome, 23, has been released on bail. Photo: Facebook.

Attacking a brick wall and bashing a bin were part of a “bizarre” rampage by a Canberra landscaper.

Court documents show Zachary John Froome, who pleaded guilty to a charge of damaging property, was taken to the Canberra Hospital on the evening of 3 November 2020 after he was found to be suffering from a suspected drug overdose.

The Conder man was discharged that night but a short time later began verbally abusing security staff in the hospital’s foyer.

Froome was later spotted in the car park outside the emergency department (ED) holding what police said was a “square-shaped metal hammer”.

He struck the ED window with the hammer, but didn’t break it, then walked away to the car park and used his tool to hit a metal bin multiple times.

Afterwards, Froome walked to a brick wall that lined a garden bed and began smashing it with his hammer, shattering bricks.

READ ALSO Inquest held into four-year-old Blake Corney’s tragic death on Canberra road

As he walked back towards hospital staff he continued to abuse them verbally. One alleged he said: “I’m going to rip your f—ing head off and shove it up your arse.”

Security apprehended him when he dropped the hammer. Police arrived at about 10:00 pm before helping paramedics sedate him with ketamine. He was admitted for a medical assessment, discharged and arrested.

“Compensation is sought for damage to the wall,” police said.

Froome pleaded guilty to a charge of damaging property over this incident, but pleaded not guilty to a charge of threatening to kill another person.

The latter charge relates to an incident in April 2021, after Froome allegedly got into an argument with a woman over a car.

Police allege he verbally abused the woman and told her: “I am gonna come and shoot you through the window.”

READ ALSO Arsonist says he’s “grown up a lot” since lighting a fire in prison

They further allege he told her: “If I am going to jail, I am going out in a big way. You will be taking your last breath today.”

On Tuesday (29 June), Froome was successful when he applied for bail for the third time in the ACT Magistrates Court.

His Legal Aid lawyer Ms Wallis said he had been in custody for two months, which allowed him time to become sober.

“He’s remained off drugs,” she said.

She said he ran a landscaping business and usually had two employees who had been impacted by his incarceration.

Magistrate James Stewart said the parts of Froome’s offending in the hospital were “bizarre”.

READ ALSO Bradley Payne-Moore jailed after “mighty fall” from image consultant to child sex offender

However, he said the allegation he had threatened to kill the woman was of particular concern.

“Mr Froome, for his tender age of 23 years, has a significant criminal history,” he said.

“He’s been in custody for quite some time, now two months.”

Magistrate Stewart ultimately granted bail, saying risks to the woman would be “outweighed” by strict bail conditions.

He ordered him not to contact the woman, not go into the north Canberra suburb where she lived and not take alcohol or illicit drugs. He adjourned the case to 6 July.

Join the conversation

3
All Comments
  • All Comments
  • Website Comments
Latest

Let’s see if he manages to meet the magistrates trust….

Finagen_erection10:51 am 30 Jun 21

Another muppet continues to get let out.

Capital Retro10:47 am 30 Jun 21

“Mr Froome, for his tender age of 23 years, has a significant criminal history”

Sort of says it all, doesn’t it?

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.