If you’ve been injured at work, in a car accident or as a result of medical negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.
While no amount of money can turn back the clock, financial compensation can go a long way towards covering expenses like medical bills and loss of income. It can also acknowledge the pain and suffering you have experienced as a result of your injury.
Even if you’re focused on recovery at the moment, it’s important to act quickly if you think you might want to make a claim. Strict time limits apply, and your claim might not be valid if you wait too long.
If you do decide to make a claim, a personal injury lawyer can help you get the best outcome. Personal injury law is complex, and every case is unique, so it often pays to engage a specialist rather than a generalist.
If you don’t already have a reliable lawyer, our list of top personal injury lawyers in Canberra will help.
If you have had any experience with personal injury lawyers in the Canberra region, please share it in the comments section at the end of this article.
What makes a great personal injury lawyer?
A outstanding personal injury lawyer could ensure you receive a significantly larger compensation amount. That might mean you have extra money to cover basic living expenses if you’re no longer able to work, or that you can afford the specialist treatment that you need to make a faster recovery.
With that in mind, doing your homework before choosing a personal injury lawyer is essential. Here are the top traits every personal injury lawyer should have:
- Specialist legal knowledge. Because there are often strict deadlines involved with matters of personal injury, you need a lawyer that knows exactly what they are doing. There is no room for error. What’s more, personal injury law is notoriously intricate, so you want someone who knows the subject matter inside and out.
- Sound medical knowledge. Your chosen lawyer doesn’t need to have trained as a doctor, but they should have enough medical knowledge to understand the specifics of your injury and prognosis. This knowledge may come in handy in court when they can ask witnesses medically-relevant questions that highlight your suffering and help you get a fair outcome.
- Understanding. Taking legal action over matters of personal injury can be an emotionally straining and frustrating process, especially if you are in pain. Your lawyer should be compassionate and understanding.
- Honesty. If there is no possibility of a successful claim, your lawyer should tell you. If there are weaknesses in your case, your lawyer should tell you (and explain how to overcome them). If you have unrealistic expectations for your case, your lawyer should tell you. Make sure you’re paying for honesty, not flattery.
- Transparent pricing. Personal injury lawyers should have a transparent fee structure and should provide you with a cost breakdown after the claim has been made. No win, no fee guarantees might sound tempting, but do your research to make sure they aren’t too good to be true.
- Clear communicators. The best lawyers are excellent communicators and are able to explain to you the complexities and nuances of your claim in easy-to-understand language. If they can’t communicate effectively with you, they may struggle to communicate effectively on your behalf.
The top personal injury lawyers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 19 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended personal injury lawyers according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and maintain a minimum average of 4/5 stars on both Google and Facebook reviews.
Unfortunately, accidents happen. And when they do, you need a lawyer that not only has specialist legal knowledge, but understands that every accident is different – and that’s why the personal injury lawyers at Snedden Hall & Gallop are committed to providing effective and compassionate legal representation and to answer all questions regarding any claim.
You know you are working with the experts when they are recognised within their industry: Richard Faulks, who is a specialist in personal injury law and heads up Snedden Hall & Gallop’s personal injury team, was listed as a leading plaintiff-focused ACT Work Injury Compensation Lawyer in the 2019 Doyles Guide.
Amber Wang is also highly regarded and chairs the ACT branch committee of Australian Lawyers Alliance and serves on a Law Society personal injury committee.
But it’s not just Doyle’s that recognise Snedden Hall & Gallops expertise – client Mrs J had this to say about her experience: “But for your diligence and guidance through the settlement conference, this personal injury case might have ended differently. Most people don’t understand the impact such ‘trip and fall’ events have on all aspects of one’s life. I will certainly be recommending you as gold standard for legal compensation work.”
No firm in the Canberra region has been operating as long as Baker Deane & Nutt. Established over 150 years ago, the qualified and experienced team have helped hundreds of Canberra residents makes claims on a whole host of personal injury matters.
With an unsurpassed understanding of deadlines and limitations, Baker Deane & Nutt can help you lodge your claim as soon as possible. They recommend contacting their team directly after you are injured, and to make things easier, offer a free first-time consultation.
One of our commenters, legal_chick86, had a fantastic experience with Baker Deane & Nutt’s simple process. She wrote, “Baker Deane & Nutt in Canberra are a fantastic firm! You just call them up, spend maybe 10 minutes on the phone with them and then they will arrange a time for a consultation with you where you will be given all forms to complete. They will do as much or as little as you would like with your claim.”
Based in central Canberra, Bradley Allen Love – abbreviated to BAL Lawyers – have an exceptional reputation for helping clients deal with the aftermath of personal injury.
Their areas of expertise include public liability claims, car accidents, medical negligence, dust diseases, workers’ compensation, insurance litigation, and more. They strive to inform clients of their rights, and work through legal matters with both integrity and transparency.
BAL Lawyers believe in innovation. They think outside the box to achieve their clients’ desired outcomes. The team works both efficiently and thoroughly – there is no cutting corners and no wasting time.
Formerly Pappas, J. – Attorney, Gabbedy Milson Lee is a reliable firm in Canberra with expertise in personal injury. If you have been injured and someone else is at fault, Gabbedy Milson Lee can help you take hold of the compensation you deserve.
Gabbedy Milson Lee understands that monetary compensation does not make your injury go away. It can, however, cover medical bills, make up for lost income, and compensate you for your suffering. Its team’s compassion and thoughtfulness make the process of taking legal action just a little bit easier.
What’s more, Gabbedy Milson Lee offers a free initial consultation for personal injury matters.
One of our commenters, littlemissscifi, had this to say: “I used Papas J on London Circuit. The attorney was Nigel Gabbedy. Incredibly professional. I was very impressed by their service and commitment.”
When it comes to personal injury law, Maxwell & Co’s experienced litigation team helps you understand your rights and how best to protect them. From motor vehicle accident claims and medical negligence to minor slips and falls, its solicitors claim to provide the best representation for you in court, so you can put your best case forward.
Google reviewer Remmo had this to say about working with Maxwell & Co: “Excellent Canberra Law Firm. They handled my case very professionally and they have a lot of expertise in many many areas. Their service was professional, yet personal. I highly recommend this team. Full stars from me!”