So! You’re considering making a Will?
Great! You’ve taken the first step. Making a plan for how to look after your loved ones after you’re gone can be a daunting experience. After all, no one likes to think about their own death! It’s pretty normal to think that you’ve got plenty of time to make plans later.
Unfortunately, a significant number of Australians never get the chance to make those plans and they die either without a Will, or with a badly drafted, home-made, or ‘Will-Kit’ Will. This can be stressful, disappointing and financially harmful for the people you leave behind. Increasingly, a poorly put-together or home-made Will will result in estate litigation which can cost your estate significant amounts of money and take years to resolve.
Think of a skilfully prepared Will and estate plan, put together by a specialist lawyer, as an insurance policy against the sort of stress and financial hardship your loved ones don’t need.
What to look for in a Wills and Estate Planning lawyer:
- Specialisation. Don’t settle for a law firm that ‘also does Wills’. Although there are many lawyers who offer Wills, it’s important to know that wills and estate planning is a complex and specialist area of law. Your best bet is to proceed with a lawyer or law firm who focuses on and specialises in Wills and estates. They will offer the best value for money and provide a service that is tailored to your needs.
- Qualifications and awards. A great team of estate planning lawyers may be recognised for their exceptional performance in that area of law. Look for lawyers who have been recognised for their quality work in a peer-review guide such as Doyle’s Guide, who have accredited specialisations, or who hold further educational qualifications such as a Masters degree in Wills and Estates.
- More than just a Will? A quality estate planning lawyer knows that not all assets can be dealt with in your Will. They will consider the big picture and provide you with advice not just in relation to your estate assets (ie, those you can deal with in your Will), but also in relation to jointly-held assets, trusts, superannuation, binding death benefit nominations, life insurance, taxation issues relevant to your estate plan, risk management, and enduring powers of attorney.
- What if my family is complex? Not all families look the same! That’s ok – a skilful estate planning lawyer will be able to provide you with advice and tailor a solution that achieves your objectives but also minimises the risk of family disharmony and costly litigation.
- I have a business, company, or trust. Can my lawyer deal with those in my Will? If your financial situation is complex or involves external structures, it’s even more vital to deal with an estate planning expert, not just any lawyer. A highly-trained estate planning lawyer will be able to ensure that those structures and their assets pass effectively to the next generation.
Canberra’s Best Places to Get Your Will Drawn Up
The following businesses are not rated in any particular order and have been included based on our readers’ feedback. Let’s get started.
DDCS Lawyers are Wills, Estate and Business Succession specialists. Their team of highly skilled estate-planning lawyers is one of Canberra’s largest and includes Canberra’s only Accredited Specialist in the field of Wills and Estates, one lawyer who has achieved (and another who is completing) a Masters Degree in Wills and Estates – and each lawyer has been recognised for their expertise in Doyle’s Guide to the Legal Profession. DDCS Lawyers have the knowledge and experience to guide you confidently through the estate planning process, leaving you safe in the knowledge that your affairs are in order and your loved ones will be looked after.
Meyer Vandenberg Lawyers deliver expert legal advice, guidance, and representation right here in Canberra. And, with a team of multi-disciplinary professionals, you can expect a hassle-free will service tailored to your specific needs.
Meyer Vandenberg always puts their clients’ best interest as the number one priority so you can be confident that your will does exactly what you want.
For over a century, Baker Deane & Nutt (BDN) Lawyers have provided top-quality legal services to Canberra, Queanbeyan, and surrounding suburbs. With a passion for justice and commitment to their customers, the team at BDN are more than capable of drawing up your will.
Whatever your unique needs – from business ownership and investment to property – their lawyers can help you create a will that benefits all parties involved.
Situated in the heart of Canberra, Bradley Allen Love (BAL) Lawyers boast a stellar reputation and impressive track record. And, when it comes to wills and estate planning, their compassionate yet professional attitude and industry-leading expertise will give you peace of mind.
The team at Bradley Allen Love always put their clients first and are committed to the highest level of integrity, honesty, and innovation.
Have You Had Your Will Drawn Up in Canberra?
Please share your experience in the comments area below.