Skip to content Skip to main navigation


Excellence in Public Sector consulting

Applying for Divorce in Canberra?

By Monomyth 22 January 2013 7

Hey guys,

With the new fees out for applying for divorce (it now costs $800 to apply) I’d rather get this sorted now than before they go up again. Only problem is I have no idea what steps to take. Do I just fill out the forms, sign them in front of someone who is legally able to witness an affidavit and go to a courthouse and lodge them? Apologies for sounding incredibly dense, but I don’t have anyone who can guide me on the proper process without charging me an hourly fee.

We have been separated for 2 years and he lives in Brisbane. We have long since divided our finances and as I’m the only one with a driver’s licence I kept the car (which my mum paid for anyway). In short, we get along pretty well and he has never indicated he’s going to ‘take me for everything i’ve got’ and I have no intention of doing this to him, so while I am preparing for him to turn around and make life difficult I am operating under the assumption he will not, and this will be as straight-forward as they come (no kids, no house/other valuable assets.)

With all this in mind I feel I am able to do this myself and not enlist legal help. Can someone guide me on the literal steps to take to start this process, or to a website/group who can?

TIA guys 🙂

What’s Your opinion?

Please login to post your comments, or connect with
7 Responses to
Applying for Divorce in Canberra?
Showing only Website comments
Newest to Oldest
Oldest to Newst
Monomyth 4:27 pm 22 Jan 13

obrijo said :

Woops correction: Women’s Legal Service is at Havelock House.

Ah, wondered why my Google-fu was rusty, thanks 🙂

Monomyth 4:26 pm 22 Jan 13

eyeLikeCarrots said :

Sooooooooooo, you’ll be back on the market soon ?

Hahaha you crack me up 🙂 Thank you 🙂

obrijo 3:19 pm 22 Jan 13

Woops correction: Women’s Legal Service is at Havelock House.

eyeLikeCarrots 2:13 pm 22 Jan 13

Sooooooooooo, you’ll be back on the market soon ?

Monomyth 11:32 am 22 Jan 13

Thanks Starrie, I was afraid it would have to be more complicated than that, glad to hear it’s not!

Thanks for the tip obrijo, i’ll check them out – might help to have something in my back pocket.

Starrie 11:12 am 22 Jan 13

Forms are here:

Fill them out, sign them in front of a lawyer or JoP, send them to your ex to sign also in front of a lawyer or JoP, lodge them online, pay the fee and the courts will do the rest for you. You don’t even need to turn up.

obrijo 11:01 am 22 Jan 13

Try the Women’s Legal Service at Gorman House (pro bono duty solicitors at restricted times) or the duty solicitor at the Family Court can help. Legal aid is probably inaccessible to most people due to its income restrictions.

Related Articles

CBR Tweets

Sign up to our newsletter

Copyright © 2018 Riot ACT Holdings Pty Ltd. All rights reserved. | | |

Search across the site