If you run a business, you’ll know how unexpected plumbing issues can wreak havoc. Leaking taps, burst pipes, and blocked drains in kitchens, bathrooms and other areas can be extremely inconvenient for staff and customers.
As a business owner, you’ll want to manage down time and inconvenience. To do so, it’s best to engage the services of a professional, qualified and licenced commercial plumber who will act quickly to fix your plumbing problem.
In this article, we’ll outline the qualities to consider when choosing a commercial plumber, and share where to find the best in Canberra.
What makes a great commercial plumber?
Choosing the right commercial plumber will fast-track getting business back to normal and remove the stress of dealing with leaking taps, burst pipes or blocked drains.
It can be helpful to keep the following in mind when choosing a commercial plumber.
- Licensed and insured. In the ACT, all commercial plumbers need to be licensed and meet eligibility requirements (such as having completed a relevant qualification). Double check that your commercial plumber is licensed and has current public and products liability insurance to protect you if work doesn’t go to plan.
- Reliable. The best commercial plumbers show up on time and ready to work – every time. You’ll want to select one who is committed to keeping business disruption to a minimum.
- Experienced. Past experience is key when selecting a commercial plumber. You’ll rest easy knowing they can pinpoint and fix your plumbing problem quickly and using the latest equipment and plumbing practices.
- Transparent pricing. Your commercial plumber should be upfront about how much things will cost. Quotes should be detailed and itemised, and so should invoices. You shouldn’t be surprised with unexpected fees or charges at the end of the job.
- Well priced. When it comes to running a business, every dollar counts. Look for a commercial plumber who charges fair and competitive rates.
Important essentials to check before engaging a plumber
Master Plumbers ACT recommends you conduct these checks before engaging a plumber. They’re easy and only take five minutes. They’ll ensure you don’t engage a dodgy plumber.
- Check that the plumber has a registered business by checking they’re registered through the Australian Business Registration website.
- Check that the plumber is registered on the Access Canberra List of Licensed Plumbers. If you can’t find their name, they’re probably not licensed.
- Check the plumber’s website and advertising. Make sure their ABN and license number are posted and check if they have Public Liability Insurance. Also check if they hold a membership in a reputable industry association such as Master Plumbers ACT. If they don’t have a website or don’t have this information on their site, it’s likely best to move on.
- Ask the plumber you choose to bring proof of their Public Liability Insurance when they arrive on site.
The best commercial plumbers in Canberra
RiotACT’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on RiotACT and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Whether you need to install plumbing in a new commercial build, or are looking for a company to maintain existing systems, O’Neill & Brown Plumbing Service is ready to help. Founded in Queanbeyan over 50 years ago, it prides itself on strong workmanship, use of high quality genuine parts and products and extensive employee training.
ONBPS ensures that every job meets its customers’ high standards. All plumbers are employed by the company – it does not hire contractors. In addition, the company provides internal training to set expectations for attention to detail and treating customers’ homes as their own.
Every job is photographed, and time-stamped photos are sent to head office to ensure work meets stringent quality requirements. Its customers appreciate regular communication (including advance notice of delays), that work is explained before it begins, and that plumbers keep the work site neat and tidy.
Importantly, all work adheres to legislative requirements and industry standards.
As Kelly Humphries reviewed on Google, “I would highly recommend this company. They were efficient, proficient, knowledgeable, reliable and extremely professional.”
ACT licensed plumber: 2005108. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
MSJ Plumbing Group is a family owned and operated company with more than 30 years of fixing and fitting plumbing and gas in Canberra and surrounding region. All work and materials are guaranteed and MSJ Plumbing Group provides hassle-free service 24/7. Same day service is guaranteed for residential and commercial emergencies. Transparent, upfront fixed prices are provided—no hidden costs.
All tradesmen working for MSJ Plumbing Group are fully licensed, qualified and certified.
MSJ Plumbing Group uses the latest equipment to pinpoint drain blockages and recommend the best possible solution. Plumbers clear drain blockages on the spot. MSJ Plumbing Group assists with blocked bathroom, kitchen, toilet and laundry drains, stormwater drains and blocked sewer drains.
Vanessa Vanderzwart wrote on Google, “Highly recommend! Was super happy with the fast service and affordability compared to other local businesses. Will be using again in the future!”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2013104. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Jet Blast Plumbing is a family owned and run business with more than 25 years of experience. Tony is quick to respond to plumbing service calls and always strives to arrive on time (if not before), providing personal and prompt customer service and quality workmanship. No job is too big or small.
The friendly, experienced and qualified team can help with new commercial fit outs or renovations as well as all commercial maintenance plumbing. Jet Blast Plumbing offers a prompt and reliable service and are also available for emergency plumbing jobs with a licensed plumber on standby 24hrs.
As Greg Wyncoll wrote on Google, “Fast and efficient service, professional job, reasonable price and doesn’t charge for a quote.”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2018299.
Silva Plumbing Service is Canberra-born and run. The company delivers the highest industry standard for commercial and domestic plumbing services. The competent, dedicated team are skilled and expert at working with large and small businesses. They provide quality plumbing solutions, maintenance and construction.
On Google, Yvette Sheleen wrote, “Great Service, really genuine guy who was easy to communicate with, open and upfront about the cost and had some great tips. Will call on again for sure.”
If you’re looking for more specialised plumbing services, check out our other articles on the best plumbers, the best emergency plumbers, the best blocked drain plumbers, the best toilet repair specialists, the best hot water systems repairers and the best gas fitters in Canberra.
Your experience with commercial plumbers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had any experience with any of the commercial plumbers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.