If you run a business or manage a commercial premise in Canberra, you will know all too well how unexpected plumbing issues can wreak havoc. Add a high-rise building into the mix and what began as a small issue can quickly blow out twenty times over.
Low pressure taps, clogged drains, leaking showers, and contaminated backflow all pose more than inconvenience. They can be real health or safety hazards for employees, tenants, and their customers.
As an owner or manager, you will want a swift resolution that minimises downtime and solves the problem once and for all. To do so, it is best to engage the services of a qualified and licenced commercial plumber.
Commercial plumbers are highly skilled specialists, well versed in all facets of industrial grade water and waste systems. They are comfortable working across expansive premises, with multiple levels, facilities, and of course stakeholders.
Furthermore, commercial plumbers are professionals who really know how to handle big projects. They can offer all the services you need, are super responsive, and have the right tools for the job.
That said, I am sure you will agree that not all plumbers are created equal. So, how do you find one with a specialised commercial skill set; and then separate the best from the rest? Fortunately, we rounded up the best in breed commercial plumbers that Canberra has to offer below.
What makes a great commercial plumber?
Great commercial plumbers are highly specialised trades, navigating intricate and complex industrial water and waste systems with ease. They can handle pressure from multiple stakeholders as easily as the high-rise pipes they operate. And provide service with a smile to boot! Here is what we think separates the best from the rest:
- Qualified, licensed, and insured. Ensuring your commercial plumber holds the right credentials is so important. Commercial properties are fitted with industrial grade systems that require specialised skills and equipment to maintain. As such, ensure your trade is qualified for the job with years of experienced in commercial aspects of plumbing. Furthermore, all practising commercial plumbers require a plumbing licence issued by Access Canberra. Finally, be sure to check that your commercial plumber is covered with an appropriate level of public liability insurance.
- Full-service offering. Good commercial plumbers offer a range of services; but the best will have all that you need under one roof. Consequently, look for a contractor that offers everything you need. From inspections and diagnostics; installations and upgrades; through to maintenance and the end clean. Doing so will save you time and money, that would otherwise be absorbed by multiple contractors.
- Communication and responsiveness. Plumbing problems in commercial establishments can pose higher risks – and higher stress levels! Large buildings are home to complex systems, and should one go down the impacts are far and wide. The best commercial plumbers are consummate professionals and exemplary communicators. They understand the urgency of your needs and act accordingly. This means providing progress updates before requested; proactively collaborating with other trades; and offering solutions with options.
- Quality products. Great commercial plumbers stand by their workmanship and do this by using the best products on the market. While competitive pricing is helpful on large scale projects, it should not come at the cost of quality. As such, look for a commercial plumber that uses reputable brands and quality products. Lack lustre products can cause future problems, so get this right the first time to ensure your pipes flow freely.
- Guarantees. The best commercial plumbers offer guarantees on products and their work. Therefore, review the guarantee your commercial plumber provides. Is it inclusive of workmanship, parts, manufacturer warranty and so on. Being clear on your guarantee period and inclusions will give you confidence of a swift resolution.
Important essentials to check before engaging a commercial plumber
To ensure a quality outcome checking the following will help to give you peace of mind; and ensure you avoid a mediocre contractor:
- Confirm the provider runs a registered business through the Australian Business Registration website.
- Ensure the provider holds an appropriate plumbing license by checking the Access Canberra list of licensed plumbers.
- Check that the contractor holds a membership with a core industry body such as Master Plumbers ACT.
- Verify the providers public liability insurance and level of cover.
- Be clear on contracted inclusions, terms, and conditions.
The best commercial plumbers in Canberra
Riotact’s editorial team has combed through 20 years of on-site comments to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Canberra series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Riotact and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
With a decade in business, Water Tight Canberra was founded by local plumber and owner-operator Tom Martin. What began as a plumbing dream has grown to become a business worthy of a prestigious national 2019 Telstra Business Award. Impressively, Tom is also the president of the core industry body, the Master Plumbers Association ACT.
With this backing the credentials for Water Tight Canberra run far and wide. They have built a formidable reputation for servicing residential and commercial markets with all their plumbing, draining, and gas fitting needs.
When it comes to commercial plumbing, Water Tight Canberra provides end to end services under the one roof. Be it a new system installation, upgrade, or maintenance, this team of highly skilled trades can manage it all.
Water Tight Canberra have extensive experience dealing with issues that often plague commercial premises. From pressure failings, to leaks, blockages, and dangerous backflows, they are available around the clock to resolve as quickly and quietly as possible.
Quality outcomes come well assured by Water Tight Canberra, boasting a lifetime workmanship guarantee. Additionally, they offer guarantees on cleanliness and punctuality. If a team member doesn’t leave the work area in the same or better condition as they found it, Water Tight Canberra will pay for a professional cleaning service. And if a plumber is more than 10 minutes late, Water Tight Canberra will waive the service call fee.
Water Tight Canberra offer best in class solutions to ensure your commercial plumbing continues to operate at its best. For market leading technology, applied by skilled hands, and professionalism with a smile look no further than Water Tight Canberra.
As Clare Derix shared on Google, "Efficient service. Friendly and helpful staff."Book online to save 10%
ACT licensed plumber: 2017441. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Jet Blast Plumbing is a family owned and run business with more than 25 years of experience. Tony is quick to respond to plumbing service calls and always strives to arrive on time (if not before), providing personal and prompt customer service and quality workmanship. No job is too big or small.
The friendly, experienced and qualified team can help with new commercial fit outs or renovations as well as all commercial maintenance plumbing. Jet Blast Plumbing offers a prompt and reliable service and are also available for emergency plumbing jobs with a licensed plumber on standby 24hrs.
As Greg Wyncoll wrote on Google, “Fast and efficient service, professional job, reasonable price and doesn't charge for a quote.”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2018299.
MSJ Plumbing Group is a family owned and operated business, servicing Canberra and surrounds for over three decades. Services include pipe locating and inspection, backflow, hot water systems, blockages, and leaks. They are well versed with the installation, renovation, and repair of commercial kitchens, bathrooms and bars, as well as gas heating, fitting, and evaporative cooling.
Mo Moezzi shared this review on Google, “I highly recommend MSJ plumbing to anyone looking for high quality service. They are professional and get the job done on time. Thanks.”
ACT Licensed Plumber: 2013104. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Whether you need to install plumbing in a new commercial build, or are looking for a company to maintain existing systems, O’Neill & Brown Plumbing Service is ready to help. Founded in Queanbeyan over 50 years ago, it prides itself on strong workmanship, use of high quality genuine parts and products and extensive employee training. ONBPS ensures that every job meets its customers' high standards. All plumbers are employed by the company - it does not hire contractors. In addition, the company provides internal training to set expectations for attention to detail and treating customers' homes as their own.
As Kelly Humphries reviewed on Google, "I would highly recommend this company. They were efficient, proficient, knowledgeable, reliable and extremely professional."
ACT licensed plumber: 2005108. Member of Master Plumbers ACT.
Silva Plumbing Service is Canberra-born and run. The company delivers the highest industry standard for commercial and domestic plumbing services. The competent, dedicated team are skilled and expert at working with large and small businesses. They provide quality plumbing solutions, maintenance and construction.
On Google, Yvette Sheleen wrote, “Great Service, really genuine guy who was easy to communicate with, open and upfront about the cost and had some great tips. Will call on again for sure.”
ACT License Number: 2013299
If you’re looking for more specialised plumbing services, check out our other articles on the best plumbers, the best emergency plumbers, the best blocked drain plumbers, the best toilet repair specialists, the best hot water systems repairers and the best gas fitters in Canberra.
Your experience with commercial plumbers in Canberra
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback, if you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had any experience with any of the commercial plumbers listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a commercial plumber?
A commercial plumber is a specialised subset of general plumbing and deals with the installation and maintenance of large-scale water and waste removal systems in commercial settings. These commercial settings include a range of buildings from basic offices to high rise complexes with industrial grade plumbing systems.
How does a commercial plumber differ to a residential plumber?
The core difference is of course the type of structures that each plumber is specialised in. Commercial plumbers work with large scale industrial grade systems, while residential plumbers work with small scale domestic grade versions. Moreover, commercial plumbers tend to deal with increased complexity of works, use specialised tools and equipment, work broader hours, and deliver higher job volumes.
What common issues can a commercial plumber address?
Common plumbing issues for commercial premises include clogged or blocked drains, leaks, hot water issues, sewerage smells, low or high pressure, and backflow contamination. Some commercial plumbers can also manage fire protections services. Each of these should be addressed promptly and resolved as quickly as possible to prevent the spread of the issue throughout the premises.
What do commercial plumbers charge per hour?
The hourly charge will generally depend on the scope of works, level of complexity and whether your plumber is dealing with installation or maintenance. Generally, a commercial plumber can charge between $90 and $150 per hour for labour. This is in addition to a call out fee, and costs for materials.
What additional licensing may a commercial plumber need?
In addition to a plumbing license, some specialised works may require extra training or additional license conditions. Always review your scope of work and ensure your commercial plumber is appropriated licensed and certified.