31 August 2022

Gary Taylor pleads guilty to murder over shooting of Glenn Walewicz

| Albert McKnight
Start the conversation

Glenn Walewicz, 48, was shot on the doorstep of his Phillip townhouse in June 2021. Photo: ACT Policing.

The older of two men charged with murder over the shooting of Glenn Walewicz has pleaded guilty.

Gary Taylor, who is in custody, is also the first to enter such a plea out of his four other co-accused.

He was led into the ACT Magistrates Court on Wednesday (31 August), flanked by prison guards, where Magistrate James Lawton asked how he pleaded to a charge of murdering Mr Walewicz between 10 and 11 June 2021.

The 24-year-old from Baradine, a small rural town west of Tamworth in NSW, removed his face mask and replied, “Guilty, your honour”.

An attempted burglary charge was withdrawn and he was committed to the Supreme Court for sentencing, with his first appearance in the higher court to be on 15 September.

READ ALSO Alleged bikie-nominee sentenced to five years’ jail for raping social media influencer

Mr Walewicz, 48, was shot on the doorstep of his Mansfield Place townhouse in Phillip last year, shortly after a group of people knocked on his door.

Police investigated Mr Walewicz’s death for about a year before performing their first arrest on 19-year-old Dunlop man Reatile Ncube, charging him with being an accessory (after the fact) to murder.

An 18-year-old man, who is unable to be named because he was 17 at the time of the shooting, was also charged with murder and has pleaded not guilty.

The oldest person charged in relation to Mr Walewicz’s death is 38-year-old Nicole Williams from Holt, who was charged with assisting the 18-year-old and others to avoid arrest, as well as conspiracy to commit an aggravated burglary.

READ ALSO Ex-Canberra Raider sentenced to two years’ jail for $160,000 Bunnings drug bust

The final person to be arrested was 19-year-old Jayden Douglas Williams from Glen Innes, NSW. He was charged with conspiracy to commit aggravated burglary and being accessory after the fact to murder.

His case is adjourned to 22 August, Ms Williams and Mr Ncube return to court on 19 September, while the 17-year-old is back on 4 October.

Six people were charged in total, but the case against a 13-year-old boy was ultimately dropped last month.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Canberra news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riotact stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.