As the weeks roll on, the music world is adapting more and more to the new reality of social isolation.
But far from inhibiting artists from reaching their audiences, musicians are taking to the internet to share intimate live streams, footage from past performances, and creative online tidbits to keep their fans engaged.
It all begs the question: what happens to live streaming once in-person gigs resume? Some in the industry are seeing a future in which concerts operate more like sporting events, with in-person and at-home audiences both sharing in the live music experience.
For now, we’ve collected some of the most exciting streams from around the internet. Scroll down to see what’s on offer and, as ever, we’ll keep this list updated throughout the week.
When: Wednesday 1 April, 12:30 pm
How to attend: Join the event on Facebook.
Canberra singer-songwriter-producer Shoeb Ahmad returns to the internet this week with the second installment of Breather. The series features live-streamed performances of “improvised slo-mo minimal raga tones and textural loops” that are built around the ideas of reenergising and rejuvenating. This stream is the perfect way to separate oneself from the work from home day or else dive into a new and intriguing musical landscape.
When: Saturday, 4 April and Sunday, 5 April, 12:00 pm to 12:00 am
How to attend: Check the Isol-Aid page for updates.
Over its first two weeks, Isol-Aid has turned into the online music festival Australia didn’t know it needed. Last week’s iteration featured the likes of Courtney Barnett, Sarah Blasko, Camp Cope and dozens more taking to their Instagram accounts for intimate live streams. Although this week’s lineup hasn’t yet been announced, expect a mix of big Australian names and up-and-comers. It’s getting harder to see how self-isolation would look without Isol-Aid.
- The Social Distancing Festival
- Ben Gibbard: Live From Home – 10:00 am daily
- Melbourne Digital Concert Hall
- Club Quarantine – Various times.
Wednesday, 1 April
Thursday, 2 April
- Surry Hills Live Streaming: Andy Golledge – 7:30 pm
- The Lounge Room Sessions: Henry Wagons – 8:00 pm.
Friday, 3 April
- Room 2 Radio #3: The Return of The Return – 8:00 pm.
Saturday, 4 April
- TikTok Soundcheck Friday – 11:00 am
- Isol-Aid Festival 3 – 12:00 pm
- Delivered Live Festival: Bob Evans, Alex Lahey, Ali Barter + more
- The Lounge Room Sessions: Tracy McNeil – 8:00 pm.
Sunday, 5 April